Park Tool CM5.2 Cyclone Chain Scrubber

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Anyone got one of these?

Im wanting to get one but the Youtube videos tell you to fit it and rotate the pedals backwards for the chain to pass through it. Obviously the chain on my Cube Race ebike doesn't go backwards so does the mechanism in this chain scrubber work if the chain goes the other way when rotating the pedals forwards? Maybe they suggest pedalling backwards purely because its easier?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007HDNOT2/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no but ill prob get one to try it as i just use some rags and degreaser in my bike stand atm.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Well, until daveboy came along with his embarrassingly simple solution I was about to suggest to myself to turn the cleaner around so it fits the other way, and pedal forwards. But daveboys solution has destroyed what tiny bit of intelligence I had :(:D.

I don't have a torx head on my chain ring but i sure I can shove something into one of the holes..

Last edited:
Reactions: oyster

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Well, until daveboy came along with his embarrassingly simple solution I was about to suggest to myself to turn the cleaner around so it fits the other way, and pedal forwards. But daveboys solution has destroyed what tiny bit of intelligence I had :(:D.

I don't have a torx head on my chain ring but i sure I can shove something into one of the holes..

Ha ! The bear - you are not alone !

Simple engineering genius at work

But then that’s Mudhuggers all over I suppose

And invokes d8veh phrase in my mind

“An engineer can do for a penny what any fool can do for a pound”

D

Deleted member 4366

“An engineer can do for a penny what any fool can do for a pound”
An engineer would never buy one of those contraptions. There's nothing wrong with a paraffin-soaked rag. It's cheaper to buy a new chain than that thing in OP too.

Reminds me of my sister and her guinea pig.
Dave: "Maureen, your guinea pig's claws are too long. You need to take it to the vet to get them clipped."
Maureen: "I don't think so. The guinea pig was only £8. It's cheaper to buy a new one."

Reactions: jdallan

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
The lidl ones work great for me. I got a big can of degreaser from amazon cheap that I use in it. Hose off, dry with a rag and reapply muc off wet chain lube

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
An engineer would never buy one of those contraptions. There's nothing wrong with a paraffin-soaked rag. It's cheaper to buy a new chain than that thing in OP too.

Reminds me of my sister and her guinea pig.
Dave: "Maureen, your guinea pig's claws are too long. You need to take it to the vet to get them clipped."
Maureen: "I don't think so. The guinea pig was only £8. It's cheaper to buy a new one."
not if you have one of these ;)
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sram-pcxx1-eagle-12-speed-chain/rp-prod156339

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have one and it works fine. it seems to work forwards as well as backwards so I just prop the bike up on my cheapo stand, fill the cleaner with parafin and pedal away.. been using it for years and brushes are about worn out now but still does the job..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00G7ZO3GE/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_b27GLWx_c_x_w/261-8214924-6149248?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=RDHZG3V31VAN0NZ45MB5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=a9e69a4c-90ea-52ca-943e-5ff7ab8a1ede&pf_rd_i=1939596031

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I've got one of the Park Tool cleaners and it is brilliant. I've had several of the cheap ones and worn them out in no time. The PT one is sturdy and the sponges & brushes do more of a cleaning job than the cheaper ones. All the internal brushes/sponges are replaceable too, so it should never wear out.

A rag will clean the outside of the chain on either side, but not in between the links where the real crud accumulates.

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015