Part replacemant for Pro-Connect ASAP.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Just to warn all Pro-Connect owners that i feel you should replace a part on the bike ASAP before it lets you down when you least need it.

On monday i finished my commute to work and readjusted my seat alittle.
When tightening the seat clamp, the bolt on the seat clamp sheared off through the bolt and the clamp too.

I had to leave the bike at work and catch the bus to a local bike shop and get another seat clamp, catch the bus back to work, fit it and then ride home.
All after a night shift.
Got home for 10am. Off work 7am.

When I took the clamp and bolt to the local bike shop and they looked at it, they said it was a very cheap seat clamp and of very poor quality.

Be warned its better to get one now before you suffer the same fate as me.
I got a good quality one for under £10, but a £5 will outshine the one you have presently on the Pro-Connect.

I think that Kalkhoff have made a big mistake on an essential part for such a expensive bike.

Anyone else had that same issue with this or other small parts?

Regards Bob

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I suspected that the seat clamp was rubbish within a couple of hours of taking delivery. There is a torque figure stamped on it. If you try to tighten the bolt to that figure, the thread will strip. I stopped before it did strip, but have been meaning to replace the clamp with something that more appropriately reflects the quality of the rest of the bike. I think I'll expidite that little job in view of your experience.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
I suspected that the seat clamp was rubbish within a couple of hours of taking delivery. There is a torque figure stamped on it. If you try to tighten the bolt to that figure, the thread will strip. I stopped before it did strip, but have been meaning to replace the clamp with something that more appropriately reflects the quality of the rest of the bike. I think I'll expidite that little job in view of your experience.
Hi Tillson,
Glad im not alone with this issue.
Not much response to this post though, so im sure people will have to find this out the hard way!

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Funnily enough I just broke a seat clamp while tightening it this morning. It wasn't on a Pro-Connect, but it is the second one I'd had go this year. Now I always keep a spare one in my toolkit, as it's a small part that can stop you riding your bike altogether.

I must get a new one as I've now used my spare!

akitano1

Just Joined
Sep 5, 2008
seat bolt

I think i read in one of the posts that it is a good idea to change the quick- release, to a nut and bolt so that you retain ownership.I dont want to lose my big bum seat!!
Ian.

carigada

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2008
UK
My Agattu seatpost is 27.2mm diameter, fitting into the seat tube by a 29.5mm shim. The external diameter of the seat tube is 35.3mm

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Take the seat post out and you should find it stamped on. It is on virtually all seatposts.
Sorry - I was half asleep! Don't do that. Get your old seat clamp and look for the size which will be written on it and get the same. As Carigada's figures show, it is obviously larger than the seat post!

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi Burncycle

I find all bike shops are grumpy and say everything is rubbish, surely a collar is a collar its a pretty basic thing in its entity.

Took my izip into a local bikes shop and the guy refused to look at it just because it had a battery, even though i wanted me shimano parts adjusting he would not. I have never a seen a bike shop owner smile in any country come to think of it.

thx

Bob

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Hi Bob,
Sorry for the delay in responding to your post.. work is a dog from hell at the moment! About a week in to Agattu ownership, I had a go at altering the seat position, tilting it back slightly to make it more comfortable for hil cimbs. However, there was so little room for movement in the grip that it didn't look secure so I shifted it back to its original position which felt as though it was sloping slightly forwards. Anyway, I have got used to it now and when I am going up hill I stick my bum slightly over the back of the seat to create more leverage for my feeble calves (moo??) to work properly.

I don't know if the Agattu and Proconnect fittings are the same though as the seats are different.. Have you heard back from Lloyd?

BW
musicbooks

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Hi Burncycle

I find all bike shops are grumpy and say everything is rubbish, surely a collar is a collar its a pretty basic thing in its entity.

Took my izip into a local bikes shop and the guy refused to look at it just because it had a battery, even though i wanted me shimano parts adjusting he would not. I have never a seen a bike shop owner smile in any country come to think of it.

thx

Bob
When you get a decent clamp, you will know how cheap and nasty the standard one is....

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Hi Bob,
Sorry for the delay in responding to your post.. work is a dog from hell at the moment! About a week in to Agattu ownership, I had a go at altering the seat position, tilting it back slightly to make it more comfortable for hil cimbs. However, there was so little room for movement in the grip that it didn't look secure so I shifted it back to its original position which felt as though it was sloping slightly forwards. Anyway, I have got used to it now and when I am going up hill I stick my bum slightly over the back of the seat to create more leverage for my feeble calves (moo??) to work properly.

I don't know if the Agattu and Proconnect fittings are the same though as the seats are different.. Have you heard back from Lloyd?

BW
musicbooks
Remind me what you're on about musicbooks.
PS I have an Agattu seatpost on the pro connect now!

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Remind me what you're on about musicbooks.
PS I have an Agattu seatpost on the pro connect now!
I found that the clamp that locks the seat at the angle of choice is weak and unable to hold the seat at an angle other than horizontal.. I was unaware that you had an Agattu seat post.

musicbooks