Partial strip down/service on BBS02

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Thought I would do a partial strip down/service on my BBS02 today, mainly to check that the screws holding the shaft to the final drive weren't loose. It has been documented on Endless Sphere, that the 5 screws holding the shaft assembly to the final drive cog can come loose.

Final Drive.jpg

There's plenty of tutorials on the web, showing how to dismantle a BBS01/02, so I won't go into that, but I will state some observations I made. My BBS02 is approaching 4k miles, and the only maintenance I have carried out in all that time, is to occasionally regrease the final drive large and small cog.

I only removed the final drive and shaft from the unit, as I didn't feel it was necessary to check out the nylon cog or motor.

Observations I made:
  • The outer locknut was quite loose
  • The nylon seal was slightly ripped
  • The inner locknut was also slightly loose
  • The thrust and roller bearings appeared to be in very good condition
  • All the the 5 screws in the picture above were loose and required torquing down
  • There was a very small amount of surface rust on the shaft (probably due to the nylon seal being ripped and allowing water in)
  • Even after regreasing and fitting back together, the small and large cogs are noisier than they used to be when the unit was new. I put this down to wear in the tooth profile, and considering the amount of torque they endure and difficulty in getting grease to stay on the cogs, am ok with this. One day I'll fit a new large and small cog and probably nylon cog to boot

Last edited:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Just to add to this thread, reference the gear noise. I've ordered some NLGI-3 grease, to replace the NGLI-2 grease I am currently using. It'll be interesting to see if the increased viscosity, will help stop the grease from being flung off the cogs.

I'll be stripping it down again, removing the old grease and applying the new stuff. Will post results :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JohnnyBBadd

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Just an update, the NLGI-3 grease has quietened the final drive to a nice level again. The NGLI-3 grease has a consistency of peanut butter, whereas the previous NLGI-2 grease was like margarine.

Last edited:

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I hope that's smooth peanut butter and not the crunchy type:confused: