Partially disabled rider needs help choosing - Thanks!

CharlieD

Just Joined
Jan 19, 2016
Hi there everyone!
Really pleased to find this site - it is like an AutoTrader for electric bikes!
Hoping you can help me make the right choice of bike as I now am struggling to use my conventional bike on anything but a flat road. I have a massively reduced use of my right calf muscle - I can still walk with an aid of a stick but stairs and hills present a real problem. So to keep as mobile as possible I thought an electric bike would be an ideal way to get around.

My requirements are as follows:
1. Step through - I struggle to lift by right leg very high
2. Hybrid - Throttle control - so I can let the electric motor take the strain on steep hills.
3. Battery mounted on rack (just prefer the way it looks!)
4. Something powerful for me about (I am a 6ft 44 year old man @ 80kg) - I will ride on country tracks also
5. Well built / reliable / good warranty & after sales / Preferably around Hertfordshire - Budget up to £950

My shortlist;

Cyclotricity Sahara
Woosh Big Bear LS
Alien Ocean Etinene
EBCO D-Cycle Discovery 7

I am thinking the EBCO Discovery looks the best....

What do you think? Has anyone had any experience of the above? Or have I missed a better choice?

Any views much appreciated!!

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
All those bikes should do your job Charlie. Best thing you can do is to try some. There's a good shop in Codicote:
Flat Earth, 121 High Street,Codicote,Hertfordshire,SG4 8UA 01438 829 239
Our bikes are seat tube batteries for a low centre of gravity, but as you say, you prefer a rack-mounted.
You'll need to understand the new laws on throttles which have been explained elsewhere on these forums.
Good luck and welcome!

Reactions: timidtom

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
I was after a step through with a rack battery by preference but I test rode the Juicy Classic which is step through but has the battery behind the seat tube (as Bob has said above). I liked the ride so much that I bought it. I think Bob still has plenty of throttle bikes left and it climbs all the steep hills around where I live with no problems.

So give as many bikes as possible a go, and try to be fairly open minded about the details of what you want on a bike and I'm sure you'll land yourself the perfect buddy like I have!:D

Good luck.