PAS problems

Dumsterdave

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 17, 2016
copenhagen
How do i install this? I have watched multiple youtube videos but they must be different because they say that i need to unscrew something, place the metal sensor down, rescrew something and then place he magnetic bit.. I dont have anything to screw onto the sensor part. Ive included links to some photos to see what im working with

Attachments

cyberdyne_systems

Pedelecer
May 8, 2016
Surrey
Older cranks have a lock ring and I think it's designed to go behind that.

Does the threaded insert into the bottom bracket have to be screwed all the way in or can you leave some thread out and get a locking ring?

If not can you find a way to mount the sensor on the bottom bracket some other way?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The videos you have watched will/may be for modern style BB with outer bearing shells which screw up tight to the BB casing which would then pinch the sensor into place. With your old style internal BB which screws in and sits flush you could try sticking the sensor on with some epoxy resin/glue or a less elegant solution is to get a surface mount sensor that sit on the bikes frame tube and is held with cable ties. Or if they are available replace the BB with a modern one with outer bearing cases but not sure if you can get sq taper ones or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyberdyne_systems

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Doh, silly me . I just twigged It, we're looking at the wrong side the pics are from the non drive. The sq taper sealed bb cartridge you have does have a lip to pinch the sensor in place, you have to fit it on the drive side that way the sensor and mag ring are then all but hidden and less likely to be damaged. Just means a liitle more work to fit it .

Reactions: cyberdyne_systems

Dumsterdave

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 17, 2016
copenhagen
Doh, silly me . I just twigged It, we're looking at the wrong side the pics are from the non drive. The sq taper sealed bb cartridge you have does have a lip to pinch the sensor in place, you have to fit it on the drive side that way the sensor and mag ring are then all but hidden and less likely to be damaged. Just means a liitle more work to fit it .
the directions from the kit seller said to put it on the non drive side... does it matter though? do the silver circles need to be pointing at or away from the sensor? Does it matter as long as the arrows on the disc follow the same direction as the pedals go?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Fitting to the non drive side is the quickest and easiest, on my two hub drives I have pas on the drive side. when fitted if the pas doesn't activate with forward motion reverse the magnet ring or the sensor block its trial and error some are handed and some tend to be dual working.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
the directions from the kit seller said to put it on the non drive side... does it matter though? do the silver circles need to be pointing at or away from the sensor? Does it matter as long as the arrows on the disc follow the same direction as the pedals go?
I have the same BB and I put the PAS on non drive side pointing towards the ring. I used sugru to secure the ring on the frame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk