PAS vs Throttle (battery usage)

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
When I bought my first eBike about 5 years ago I read some reviews/tests and I always remember a couple of articles where the owners said something like:
On PAS I get 25 miles but on throttle it does 35 miles.

On another forums this week somebody has also said they get more miles if they use throttle only.

Is this correct, can 'throttle only' give you more miles or as much throttle as you can with the least PAS you can?
Personally I think it's bull because you still use the same power but what do I know?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Probably depends on the throttle and controller software as well as PAS level used.
My throttles are all or nothing and range is less then PAS, but a graduated speed throttle will vary power so may be.
I have ordered a new 3 wire throttle from Aliexp vendor and they say it is graduated for flexible control.

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
Probably depends on the throttle and controller software as well as PAS level used.
My throttles are all or nothing and range is less then PAS, but a graduated speed throttle will vary power so may be.
I have ordered a new 3 wire throttle from Aliexp vendor and they say it is graduated for flexible control.
The throttle on the Cyclotricity Stealth was/is definitely all or nothing, I know because I'm still using it on another bike.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I am guessing they are only using the throttle when going downhill... :rolleyes:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Let's think about this. If you are using pas you are peddelling, putting at least some power into the equation. If you are using throttle only and not peddelling, then you are putting nothing in. Therefore, not only will you go slower so using the battery for more time over a given distance, but forward motion gets no aid from you, the rider/load. So the battery will consume more watt/hours per mile.
Personally, I've never understood why anyone (other than through incapacity) would want to use throttle only. I want the exercise.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I think it will depend on how an individual uses their bike.
I ride mainly tracks and quiet country roads and used a simple thumb throttle (no PAS) a few years back and found I could easily use it in a graduated way.
I didn't use it all the time, as I was able to use pedal power most of the time so tended to use throttle on short steep bits and longer hills as needed and rarely on full throttle.
I easily managed 30 to 40 miles on 10ah battery with some to spare so I know this is possible if the bike is ridden like this.
Using throttle doesn't rule out getting plenty of exercise though the temptation to over use is there!
I use PAS now on both bikes, almost always on low settings, but wouldn't want to be without a throttle for quick bursts of extra power to get over sudden short inclines.
Dave.

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Let's think about this. If you are using pas you are peddelling, putting at least some power into the equation. If you are using throttle only and not peddelling, then you are putting nothing in. Therefore, not only will you go slower so using the battery for more time over a given distance, but forward motion gets no aid from you, the rider/load. So the battery will consume more watt/hours per mile.
Personally, I've never understood why anyone (other than through incapacity) would want to use throttle only. I want the exercise.
Why do you assume that the throttle is used without peddeling? It is used by any serious Ebiker as and when required Doh!

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Well the title question sort of lead me to the assumption, wrongly it would seem. I only use mine for hill starts so not very often 'cause I don't stop on the hills round here, they're too bloody steep!;)