Pedelec Insurance Options Please

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
The frame was warranteed for 10 years - I purchased the bike to carry my eldest daughter in a child seat on the back and she has just turned 5, so the bike was out of the 1 year guarantee but well within the 10 year frame warrantee.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
The frame was warranteed for 10 years - I purchased the bike to carry my eldest daughter in a child seat on the back and she has just turned 5, so the bike was out of the 1 year guarantee but well within the 10 year frame warrantee.
Yes I'm afraid there isn't a way to revive the warranty given it's a gratuitous promise, and so it's much less likely for a fairness assessment of the exclusion clause to succeed -alternatively it's part of the core subject matter of the contract and not assessable for fairness. Your recourse is in contract under SOGA in conjunction with s 75 CCA.

Rod Fuller

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
I did search for this topic but I couldn't find a direct thread for it. Sorry if it already exists!

It appears a £2000 Pedelec demands approximately £17 a month to insure against theft. Ugg. That's not a million miles off my car insurance costs :mad:

Am I missing something here or is it just blinking expensive?

Has anyone linked theirs to their house contents insurance?

Thanks.. Steve
I just tried to insure my machine with my car insurance company, Adrian Flux,
they will not insure a bike over 200W unless registered with DVLA!. Now trying home insurance Clik 4 Quote.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
I just tried to insure my machine with my car insurance company, Adrian Flux,
they will not insure a bike over 200W unless registered with DVLA!. Now trying home insurance Clik 4 Quote.
Sounds like they need to be appraised of the recent change in legislation. I had this with my home insurers who after reviewing were happy to insure my ebike conversion.

The specific amendment is here:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/24/pdfs/uksi_20150024_en.pdf

Michael

Walklikegump

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2015
Leicester
Cycleguard seem good! I'm with them. Check the lock requirements though. And smallprint obviously.

I couldn't understand your reasoning earlier as those sound like reasons to take rather than reject a policy (apart from that of 'horrendous' cost).
Apologies , yes , these reasons are why I should take ( and subsequently did) a policy . I really should reread before hitting submit !

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Why is ebike insurance cover so expensive? I am thinking of returning to motorcycling so looked at fully comprehensive insurance on a new 750 motoguzzi and the lowest quote I had was £110 or £140 with legal cover, personal injury, protected no claim and RAC breakdown. A bargain compared to an electric bike.

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
As indicated previously, you can usually include cover for home and away for very cheap or even free as part of your home content insurance...

Walklikegump

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2015
Leicester
Why is ebike insurance cover so expensive? I am thinking of returning to motorcycling so looked at fully comprehensive insurance on a new 750 motoguzzi and the lowest quote I had was £110 or £140 with legal cover, personal injury, protected no claim and RAC breakdown. A bargain compared to an electric bike.
Yes Same here , Paid £155 for my £2000 e-bike , my fully comprehensive insurance for my 171cc Scooter is ... £80.
Regardless of the fact that some house insurers will insure your e-bike , the full dedicated e-bike insurance is too much.
I took it out anyway but will seriously consider adding it to my house insurance next year. When the time comes to renew the house insurance , I will find out which company offers it.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
17 € a year for 1500 € declared value, MACIF France. "Equipement de loisir partout en Europe", 80 € franchise on theft.

Reactions: jonathan75

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It is under my house insurance and is an option:

Leisure and sporting material in any place and bicycle is a sub option (a pedelec being a bicycle, the lady checked) with value up to 30,490€ which should cover most models... Covered are fire, theft or accident etc. with franchises more or less depending on how much you decide to pay as a premium. I went for 1,500€ and maximum franchises which gave me an annual premium of 17€ for this option.

For the record I pay 16.71€ a month mandatory house insurance (all options included) and have been insured by the MACIF since 1977.

Reactions: jonathan75

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Here in the UK, it's possible to insure just about anything......at a price. Strangely perhaps, the bean counters seem to have a dislike for EAPCs, comprehensive cover simply proving unavailable with some companies and the limited provisions offered by others proving to be rather expensive.

It isn't really strange of course as risk-assessing actuaries like easily quantifiable risks and the standards by which they might judge EAPCs are somewhat difficult to pin down. The idea of a powered machine which does not fit into any of the normal vehicle classes yet isn't strictly a bicycle as they know one is alien to them.

In their information-gathering process in order to quantify risk, any actuary or researcher might read up on EAPCs in this or similar forums. Given the abuse of legislation they are likely to uncover, it's not difficult to see why they are not disposed to advise insurance panels favourably. We know that everyone who has car insurance must declare any modifications and in some cases, insurance may be declined. In the case of an EAPC, it's probably simple enough to quantify the risk when the power automatically disappears at 25kph but when modifications make double that powered speed possible and the machines may be ridden by 14 year-olds or flaky OAPs without any kind of licence or crash helmet or identifying registration marks, one can perhaps begin to understand the reluctance.

Clearly, there must be something in the psyche of the risk assessors which causes them to baulk at the idea of insuring such disparate machines yet finding lightweight road bikes perfectly acceptable. Given the difficulty that so many have found in attempting to insure an EAPC, I question the worth of those policies people have and seem happy to rely on in any circumstance. When third-party claims can run into millions of pounds, I just have the feeling that insurers would seek out every possible way to refuse a claim.

I am not reassured by any statements along the lines of, 'Well, my home insurance covers me for everything, free.' Insurance is all about specifics and declared facts and when disputes occur, the best legal brains debate the issues.

So, if it costs me more to insure similar risks on an EAPC as I would enjoy on a 1000cc motorcycle, then I'll take the chance of riding uninsured as there is no legal requirement (yet) for me to have any.

Tom

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
It is under my house insurance and is an option:

Leisure and sporting material in any place and bicycle is a sub option (a pedelec being a bicycle, the lady checked) with value up to 30,490€ which should cover most models... Covered are fire, theft or accident etc. with franchises more or less depending on how much you decide to pay as a premium. I went for 1,500€ and maximum franchises which gave me an annual premium of 17€ for this option.

For the record I pay 16.71€ a month mandatory house insurance (all options included) and have been insured by the MACIF since 1977.
Ah do these people cover UK properties, or are you on the continent?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Sorry Jonathan

https://www.macif.fr/web/site/offres/contrat_habitation_1 only in French from what I see.

Yes I am "on the continent" and as it is a mutuality I am not sure that they insure clients outside of France, even though new EU regulations allow it.

This option is not the same as having your bike insured just by the house insurance. In her on screen instructions the lady had specific information explaining the difference between a 250 W, 25 kph pedelec and an e-bike which would be covered by moped insurance. My pedelec is covered as a pedelec and not just a plain vanilla bicycle.