pedelecs banned from UK event...

We've just had this through from one of our dealers.

Good afternoon,

Did you know that your products have been banned by a national charity?

The back story...

Having raised £3000 for the British Heart Foundation by cycling the 300 mile off-road route from London to Paris in 2013 on a pedelec/e-bike, Cycling Made Easy has now been told that pedelecs are banned from taking part in their cycling events – even though they are non-competitive rides, and pedelecs (as you know) are legally classed as bicycles. They state in their communications to us that e-bikes pose a ‘risk’.

What this means and why it matters...
- Anyone riding your e-bikes will be denied the chance to take part in this wonderful event, no matter how much money they would have raised.
- Their policy perpetuates the myth that your products pose a ‘risk’ to the public.

What you can do today...

We are pushing hard to get pedelecs accepted by the BHF, and by extension other organisations which hold false beliefs about their safety.
Incidentally, other charity rides – such as the Capital2Coast ride – do allow pedelecs.

Can I ask that you:
- Sign our petition (below)?
- Forward to your colleagues and friends to do the same?

We see this as an important matter for our customers and our industry.

Takes 1 minute à Sign and share this petition:
https://www.change.org/p/british-heart-foundation-bhf-to-allow-pedelec-e-bikes-to-enter-non-competitive-fundraising-bike-rides

Takes 2 minutes à Read our press release “BHF pull plug on electric bikes”:

http://www.cyclingmadeeasy.co.uk/e-bikes-at-cycling-made-easy/press-release-british-heart-foundation-pulls-plug-electric-bikes/

Takes 2 minutes à Read Ray Wookey’s Statement “We need to reward pedelec riders’ courage”
:
http://www.cyclingmadeeasy.co.uk/e-bikes-at-cycling-made-easy/need-reward-pedelec-riders-courage-ray-wookey/

If you would like to add your voice, as an industry professional, to this cause, do get in touch. We would appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance for your support,

Neil Ridulfa

t. 020 8660 8823

e. neil.ridulfa@cyclingmadeeasy.co.uk

a. Leo House 226 - 230 Brighton Road, Coulsdon, Surrey, CR5 2NF

www.cyclingmadeeasy.co.uk

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Banning something that is good for people with heart condition just goes to show how good they are at looking after people doesn't it... :mad:

It seems that most heart foundations are useless, the Spanish one gives the thumbs up to a product described by doctors as "snake oil"...

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
I would never donate ever again to the BHF as we had some really nice Ercol furniture that was to big when we recently moved house and thought we would donate it to them,but on arrival they fully inspected it and asked us numerous questions and were not very grateful that they got it for free.

And now banning a product that can help heart conditions is just narrow minded whether the bikes are legal or not.

Reactions: mike killay

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I think the ban is about fair team competition.
Sooooo complicated to create a special pedelec class! And have people who have had heart surgery etc. out on their pedelecs showing that cycling is good for you and that riding a bike doesn't have to be a competition...

Reactions: Wicky

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The ride is known to be congested with lots of once a year cyclists riding like idiots.

Couple that with some misinformation about pedelecs, and you can see the reason for the ban.

There might also be a genuine fear someone will turn up with their 1,000W contraption, ride it like everyone else, and cause a crash.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Electric assist can be a reasonable adjustment to enable a disabled person to join in and feel part of the cycling community.
Excluding them is potentially discriminatory. ( only potentially)
That is something for a court to decide if they have failed in there duty to undertake a impact analysis and come up with a good reason to restrict entry.
My Athsma is a disability within the legal definition ( but not court tested)
Preventing me from joining in could upset me. But not yet as I haven't asked.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
We've just had this through from one of our dealers.

Good afternoon,

Did you know that your products have been banned by a national charity?

The back story...

Having raised £3000 for the British Heart Foundation by cycling the 300 mile off-road route from London to Paris in 2013 on a pedelec/e-bike, Cycling Made Easy has now been told that pedelecs are banned from taking part in their cycling events – even though they are non-competitive rides, and pedelecs (as you know) are legally classed as bicycles. They state in their communications to us that e-bikes pose a ‘risk’.

What this means and why it matters...
- Anyone riding your e-bikes will be denied the chance to take part in this wonderful event, no matter how much money they would have raised.
- Their policy perpetuates the myth that your products pose a ‘risk’ to the public.

What you can do today...

We are pushing hard to get pedelecs accepted by the BHF, and by extension other organisations which hold false beliefs about their safety.
Incidentally, other charity rides – such as the Capital2Coast ride – do allow pedelecs.

Can I ask that you:
- Sign our petition (below)?
- Forward to your colleagues and friends to do the same?

We see this as an important matter for our customers and our industry.

Takes 1

If you would like to add your voice, as an industry professional, to this cause, do get in touch. We would appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance for your support,

Neil Ridulfa

J will certainly be upset by this - she's done several 40km rides for charity and raised money for BHF, Gladstone's Library and GOES. She's planning to do another ride in the autumn, on her etrike. The rides are not competitions!
Tom

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Off topic alert....nice tuck in your avatar Wicky...carry on lol

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Shush don't mention his dongled bike
It just looks like he's dong 26kph, he's not really

Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I took part in a 10 Kilometer run which was organised by The Briitish Heart Foundation last year. As we crossed the finish line we were presented with a beef burger in a bun.

It's hard to say what is behind this ebike ban. It could be one of two extremes, one being extreme ignorance the other being heightened awareness of high power & speed bikes.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I took part in a 10 Kilometer run which was organised by The Briitish Heart Foundation last year. As we crossed the finish line we were presented with a beef burger in a bun.

It's hard to say what is behind this ebike ban. It could be one of two extremes, one being extreme ignorance the other being heightened awareness of high power & speed bikes.
So beef burgers in buns are good for heart conditions... Did it have a big M on the wrapping? They make wonderful heart improving products the M chain of healthy food...

Reactions: flecc

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
I have taken part in a few BHF rides and the ones at the front always ride like it is a stage race,at least the first 50 going at it like idiots.When they see someone on a e-bike they presume the rider is having a easy time and start moaning.So i could see complaints coming from them to the organisers.

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I have taken part in a few BHF rides and the ones at the front always ride like it is a stage race,at least the first 50 going at it like idiots.When they see someone on a e-bike they presume the rider is having a easy time and start moaning.So i could see complaints coming from them to the organisers.
Thats a far more likely reason for the ban than them banning ebikes because of non legal and dongled ones.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
I've ridden the London to Brighton ride on a regular bike 13 times. I no longer ride this due to the massive number or riders making cycling the whole route impossible. Plenty of pushing up the hills due to crowd speed and volume. Last thing I'd wanna be using and pushing is a 20kg Pedelec.
BHF decision is no great loss on this one and probably done some a favour.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: tillson and EddiePJ

Plasmadaddy

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2015
London, UK
I've ridden the London to Brighton ride on a regular bike 13 times. I no longer ride this due to the massive number or riders making cycling the whole route impossible. Plenty of pushing up the hills due to crowd speed and volume. Last thing I'd wanna be using and pushing is a 20kg Pedelec.
BHF decision is no great loss on this one and probably done some a favour.
Have a look at the Capital to Coast ride. I marshall it every year on the motorbike.
Really lovely routes and normally up to about 1500 cyclists as opposed to the tens of thousands doing the BHF ride.
E-bikes no problem either!!!

Thats a far more likely reason for the ban than them banning ebikes because of non legal and dongled ones.
I can see that's what you'd like to think.

But they have clearly said - "They state in their communications to us that e-bikes pose a ‘risk’."

They wouldn't use the word risk if they simply wanted to create a level playing field, they'd just say, "we want to create a level playing field". That's a good enough reason.

• Dislike
Reactions: Izzyekerslike