Pedelecs chain rings ?

getthetowelout

Just Joined
May 24, 2022
I own a cannondale synapse neo 2 which I have had for a year no probs
Going to change my chain / chain ring / cassette and I am sure I have read online that they need beefed up chain rings but my lbs is telling me that I can use a normal chain ring for a normal bike ?
I am sure they are wrong …… any advice please ?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
as long as it fits it will work no point spending more on ebike specific components.

• Agree
Reactions: Gringo and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A hub motor e-bike like yours doesn't need any special chainrings, standard ones will be fine.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I own a cannondale synapse neo 2 which I have had for a year no probs
Going to change my chain / chain ring / cassette and I am sure I have read online that they need beefed up chain rings but my lbs is telling me that I can use a normal chain ring for a normal bike ?
I am sure they are wrong …… any advice please ?
Mid Motor e-bikes need some beefed up parts in that area, as all the pedal and motor power torque is transmitted via the same chain and ascociated components.
On a rear hub e-bike (or even front hub e-bike as well!), the torque transmitted through the chain and its components, will never be more than that of the same person riding a non e-bike!
But generally, the torque through the chain will usually be far less than that on a normal bike (same rider) - thereby dramatically prolonging the life of these components, especially if its is regularly cleaned and properly lubed as well!
Therefore standard parts for a non e-bike will give more than an acceptable life span, even if lubing and cleaning is not done as often as it should! (Me for instance!!)
Best wishes
Andy