Pedelecs - Read EU directive EN 15194

BrianC

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 8, 2013
Before you buy read the above directive to decide whether you want a bicycle or a moped.An 'engineer' is advising buying a bike with a throttle but if you do you will be buying a moped [power-on-demand e-bike]and require a driving license, insurance and would need to wear a crash helmet.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I don't have throttle on my bike but as far as I am aware, the police is not chasing after people who use throttle. We haven't formally adopted EN15194 anyway. When we do, some of us will simply unplug the throttle, not such a big deal.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not true Brian. In the UK we have our own laws on this subject, the EAPC regulations of 1983 which allow throttles on e-bikes. Although those same regulations limit power to 200 watts, we have a special dispensation from the DfT for 250 watts, giving us the advantages of both EU and UK law.

There is an intention to revise the current UK law to bring it more closely into line with the EU one, but the DfT are considering including throttles still when that comes into force. The present intention is that the new law will commence in 2016, but with a long history of the DfT missing such deadlines we aren't holding our breath.

Although Trex has mentioned unplugging the throttle, that will not be necessary since the DfT has guaranteed that existing e-bikes will be unaffected by any change, the new law not being retrospective when it comes into force.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Right idea but wrong information, Brian. Virtually every ebike sold in the UK doesn't comply with the present law, because it doesn't allow 250w motors, but does allow throttles, so the DfT has given a sort of amnesty on 250w motors, which means that nobody will be prosecuted for a 250w bike with a throttle.

Nobody needs to worry about these things: Just choose your bike and go out and have fun on it instead of trying to fight stupid political battles.

Make sure that you post in the correct forum, Brian. This one is for introducing yourself.

BrianC

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 8, 2013
Right idea but wrong information, Brian. Virtually every ebike sold in the UK doesn't comply with the present law, because it doesn't allow 250w motors, but does allow throttles, so the DfT has given a sort of amnesty on 250w motors, which means that nobody will be prosecuted for a 250w bike with a throttle.

Nobody needs to worry about these things: Just choose your bike and go out and have fun on it instead of trying to fight stupid political battles.

Make sure that you post in the correct forum, Brian. This one is for introducing yourself.
Thanks to everyone for the advice and legal update. I was worried because mine were sold with 'Twist and Go'. I think I will have to disengage the throttles when I travel throughout the rest of Europe.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
You've got to love him though. Or maybe not.