Pedelecs - Read Terms and Conditions of Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
My impression is factory warranties on push bikes aren't up to much, so in that respect the ebike makers are following the industry (low) standard.

At one time, responsibility for the warranty on your new consumer goodie lay with the retailer, but we, as consumers, are increasingly being shunted towards the manufacturer.

Direct sales over the internet have blurred the line between retailer and manufacturer.

For example, if you buy a washing machine from Currys, it may be supplied direct from the manufacturer's warehouse.

Arguably, you are buying from the manufacturer but 'through' Currys.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
If you look at the summary you will see that Wisper now offer transferable warranty, hopefully it might catch on with other sellers:

electricbikemag.co.uk::Review: Wisper 905classic
Not exactly without conditions, from the website:

"transferable warranty

Wisper is unique amongst electric bike manufacturers in allowing the original warranty to be passed from one customer to another for the full warranty period.

To transfer a warranty the used Wisper bike must be bought through an approved Wisper dealer, where the bike will be checked and if necessary made road worthy. Battery checks will be carried out to ensure your used Wisper has been properly maintained and the Warranty is still in force.

Buying your used Wisper through our network of professional dealers, will ensure you are buying an original Wisper bike and the bike is good and road worthy.

To continue the original warranty you must re-register your Wisper within seven days of purchase through the warranty registration form available on this site under "Support" then "Warranty Registration", filling in all details. It is important you enter the date the bike was originally purchased and the name of the original supplier.

Wisper bikes bought second hand from anyone other than an approved Wisper dealer will not be legible for a warranty transfer."

I don't see why the second user can't be afforded the same deal, without the necessity of being re-purchased via a dealer, if it can be inspected for a fee before approving a transfer of warranty.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Mr Brian Conway is one of the most difficult persons I have ever met in 41 years of business. He managed to make an enemy of several of my staff,he managed to make an enemy of the local Kudos dealer and seems to upset everyone who doesn't agree with him.
If you reread this thread he has already upset several forum members who are trying to help him.
What sums up this guy, is one of his e-mails quote 'I am a wealthy man,money means nothing to me see you in court'.
Mr Conway tested his Sport bike then by an underhand way went behind the local dealer to negotiate a discount but when he had the BB wear out(due to poor maintenance and adjustment) and damaged the speed sensor Kudos paid for the repair and the local dealer kindly fitted the parts,he then thanked the local dealer by giving him a load of abuse.
What Mr Conway is not telling everyone is that he wanted us to collect the bikes and wanted a full refund after months of usage just because his stem had discoloured and his rear light has an intermittent fault.
Perhaps he would put his photo of his wife's front motor that clearly shows egress due to overheating,Suzhou Bafang confirmed my diagnosis.
All the bullying is coming from Mr Brian Conway,he fancies himself as an expert lawyer.
I think our offer to supply a new motor at cost price is more than fair at £48.00 despite we are sure that the damage is self inflicted. The other items of the discoloured stem (it is due to oxidation of the anodising accelerated by the sun) and a new rear light are peanuts cost to us and I would readily supply replacements if he deals with us reasonably.
But because of his threatening legal action at every opportunity we have asked for a expert witness report on his wife's motor-the credit card chargeback negotiator also asked for same and if he goes to court they would also ask for same.
I was prepared to ignore this thread but he keeps using my personal name in his postings,which is bad forum etiquette,so I felt that I needed to respond.
As always there are 2 sides to many stories and it answers the reasons why Mr Brian Conway keeps evading your questions as to what is exactly wrong with his bikes.
KudosDave

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
With regard to warranty claims we deal with each case on its own merits. If the bike has been clearly looked after and a fault has developed which is no fault of the bike's owner we do everything to assist,even if the bike is not with the original purchaser.
To date I think we have fairly dealt with all warranty claims made by Pedelec members.
KudosDave

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Mr Brian Conway is one of the most difficult persons I have ever met in 41 years of business. He managed to make an enemy of several of my staff,he managed to make an enemy of the local Kudos dealer and seems to upset everyone who doesn't agree with him.
If you reread this thread he has already upset several forum members who are trying to help him.
What sums up this guy, is one of his e-mails quote 'I am a wealthy man,money means nothing to me see you in court'.
Mr Conway tested his Sport bike then by an underhand way went behind the local dealer to negotiate a discount but when he had the BB wear out(due to poor maintenance and adjustment) and damaged the speed sensor Kudos paid for the repair and the local dealer kindly fitted the parts,he then thanked the local dealer by giving him a load of abuse.
What Mr Conway is not telling everyone is that he wanted us to collect the bikes and wanted a full refund after months of usage just because his stem had discoloured and his rear light has an intermittent fault.
Perhaps he would put his photo of his wife's front motor that clearly shows egress due to overheating,Suzhou Bafang confirmed my diagnosis.
All the bullying is coming from Mr Brian Conway,he fancies himself as an expert lawyer.
I think our offer to supply a new motor at cost price is more than fair at £48.00 despite we are sure that the damage is self inflicted. The other items of the discoloured stem (it is due to oxidation of the anodising accelerated by the sun) and a new rear light are peanuts cost to us and I would readily supply replacements if he deals with us reasonably.
But because of his threatening legal action at every opportunity we have asked for a expert witness report on his wife's motor-the credit card chargeback negotiator also asked for same and if he goes to court they would also ask for same.
I was prepared to ignore this thread but he keeps using my personal name in his postings,which is bad forum etiquette,so I felt that I needed to respond.
As always there are 2 sides to many stories and it answers the reasons why Mr Brian Conway keeps evading your questions as to what is exactly wrong with his bikes.
KudosDave
That's more like it, the forum had become a bit stale of late.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
When I phoned Kudos about a part of my bike which had gone faulty, they had a new part delivered 18 hours later to my house free of charge under guarantee. They were very polite and friendly about it. I sometimes wonder about the attitude people use when phoning companies.

BAH48

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2012
Appleby Cumbria
Glad to see a response from Kudos, I was wondering what their side of this dispute was. You do get some really odd customers, I once worked in a builder's merchant and this customer wanted to see an item she had seen in the catalogue, I didn't have it in stock and offered to get it in from a branch, she then demanded to see the product and wouldn't leave until she had seen it. It was impossible and after a while I locked up and went to lunch, leaving her in the shop. I was working out my notice as I was leaving to join the Army so I had nothing to lose, in fact, they sacked me on the spot which was better for me as they still paid me.

LEBC Tom

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2013
Hampton Wick, KT1 4DA
Glad to see a response from Kudos, I was wondering what their side of this dispute was. You do get some really odd customers, I once worked in a builder's merchant and this customer wanted to see an item she had seen in the catalogue, I didn't have it in stock and offered to get it in from a branch, she then demanded to see the product and wouldn't leave until she had seen it. It was impossible and after a while I locked up and went to lunch, leaving her in the shop. I was working out my notice as I was leaving to join the Army so I had nothing to lose, in fact, they sacked me on the spot which was better for me as they still paid me.
I have dealt with Rally Design (Kudos Cycle's other business) for over 15 years now and they are market leaders in customer service in the Kit Car Industry, its one of the many reasons I wanted to get involved with the e-bike scene and work with and sell the Kudos e-bike range. I've only ever witnessed a top tier service from them, great support with no questions asked in some cases.

You do get some strange customers though, I've even had an owner of another known local e-bike shop in pretending not to be that person and even deny it when they have had to show me ID to try a few bikes...very odd! :D

D

Deleted member 4366

I have first hand experience as well. I was trying to sort out a customer's problem for a retailer recently. When I rang him, I couldn't hold the phone to my ear for at least 30 minutes, while he shouted all sorts of irrelevant things. Each time I tried ti find out what was wrong, he just started off again before I could say even three words. I was on the phone for an hour before I was able to find out what his problem was. We fixed everything, so I thought he'd be happy, but then later he demanded his money back under the the threat of legal action. I wouldn't want to speak to him again.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
It does seem to be the season for gripes, So just to balance it up for Kudos, I have had my Kudos Sport for over 17 months done about 500+ miles and it is still in superb condition and no noticeable decline in the battery or the electrics.:)

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
You do get some strange customers though, I've even had an owner of another known local e-bike shop in pretending not to be that person and even deny it when they have had to show me ID to try a few bikes...very odd! :D
Answers on a postcard ? ... of all the things ! :eek: :rolleyes: :)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Did he want to try 50 cycles?

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
What do you mean "riding incorrectly" or "not using them correctly"?

One reason I recently bought an eBike was the help it promised me in climbing hills. Indeed my bike was advertised as particularly good in that respect.

Also what is the point of the controller if it doesn't cut out if I am overloading the electrics?

BrianC

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 8, 2013
KudosDave
The two sensors collapsed after two weeks use in Norfolk in April, our first use of the cycles. On my return I rang Kudos and was told that Dave Elderfield the managing director was on holiday and I would have to wait a WEEK for a decision to be made by him as to whether Kudos were prepared to replace them. I was not amused. I sent them photographs of the broken sensors and eventually managed to get a decision to replace them.

After initially being shunned by Kudos staff I telephoned their Leek agent to ask advice as to how the sensors were fitted. He was upset that I had purchased the bikes direct from Kudos [at £350 less than his advertised prices]. He was reluctant to advise me and later when Kudos sent him two UPGRADED replacement sensors was reluctant to fit them. He fitted the first one the wrong way round.

I did NOT test out any Kudos bikes and did NOT negotiate any deals. I only obtained a brochure from the dealer and his price of £745 for a black one and £695 for a silver one. The bikes were then offered by Pedelec at a reduction of £150 each and I ordered them over the internet.£150 appears to be the standard discount of Kudos. Their ‘Ambassador scheme’ offers any Kudos bike at a reduction of £150. Has anyone bought one at the advertised price?

My bikes were and are maintained. I am an apprentice trained mechanical engineer, not a bike fitter.

The motor overheated and the other faults emerged on a trip to Dorset and Devon in July. My wife was riding using her gears and not labouring the motor.

On my return I rang Kudos to complain .I was told Dave was away but after 4 days I was contacted by Dave Elderfield. I sent photos of the faults. He immediately without discussion claimed that my wife had not ridden the bike properly and therefore had caused the overheating. He offered no redress and referred me to the Terms and Conditions on the warranty. THAT prompted me to quote ‘Fit for purpose’ regulations and credit card chargeback procedures. He did not offer to replace the motor, bronzed stem, faulty back light, scrubbed paintwork or the worn bottom bracket bearing which was referred to by his agent as ‘one only normally fitted to children’s bikes’. Dave's email response,"This design is cheap,your bike was cheap". Kudos have NOT replaced the BB bearing.[Just another lie]

£48 for a replacement motor has never been mentioned before.

Dave Elderfield was at pains to point out to me that it would cost me to employ an engineer acceptable to him to give an opinion , Court costs and the cost of travelling to Kent where he would demand the case to be heard.That's why I emailed him "Money is no object to me".

My original blog was to make people aware of reading the Terms and Conditions when purchasing an ebike. Members have prompted me to explain further.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Just for my own curiosity, did you ride the bike in the rain or leave it outside when it was raining?

Status
Not open for further replies.