Pendleton Somerby battery advice please?

Shrewmouse

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 11, 2019
Hi everyone, I'm new here and have just acquired a Pendleton Somerby. Can anyone advise please?
I am a bit confused about the on/off button on the battery. When I press it briefly ("state of current charge") it is currently showing 3 bars. When I press and hold for 10 seconds ("capacity remaining indication") I get all 5 bars flashing. I am confused as to what the two different indications mean and the difference between them.
Also, how does one actually turn the battery on and off? As all that happens when I press the switch is the "state of current charge" indication for a couple of seconds, which then goes off. How do I know if the battery is actually on or off?!
Thanks in advance :)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The control panel on the handlebar effectively switches off the battery electronically, so there's no need for a separate switch.

Shrewmouse

Feb 11, 2019
Thank you vfr400, I did wonder if that was the case but the instructions talk about turning it on and off, and specifically that it should be off when reconnecting to the bike (I have to bring it indoors for charging) hence the confusion.

Last edited:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
5 bars on the "capacity remaining indicator" shows you the battery will still take a full charge. The lights will deminish as the battery ages and the cells hold less power. As a rough guide most modern branded cells will hold 80% of original capacity after 300 charge cycles. "Current charge" tells you how much power is left in the battery.

Reactions: Shrewmouse

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Whenthe bike is switched on at the control panel, try a short press of the switch on the battery. If it switches off the control panel, it has switched off the battery too. If that doesn't work, try holding the switch down for a few seconds to see if it switches off.

Shrewmouse

Feb 11, 2019
It has a key to lock it onto the bike. But it's on the other side to the switch.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I meant is the lock also a switch, they often are. You can tell by turning the bike on, then unlocking the battery.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
Press the button for 30 seconds. Led1 &2 will start flickering and 60 sec later, the BMS will enter into power off mode.
I have never bothered turning off the battery, I just turn off bike at 790 display and remove battery when I had to.

PS The pdf below refers to the slightly larger 11ah version but I think the 8.8 is similar.

Attachments

Shrewmouse

Feb 11, 2019
Thank you Sturmey! That link is very helpful and I will have a proper read of it tomorrow and also play about with the battery. Probably making too much of it but I like to know.

Shrewmouse

Feb 11, 2019
Well, so wheeliepete, the key has no effect on turning the display on or off.
I read the pdf, noted the instructions for turning off but it is a long process which I doubt anyone would perform on a daily basis and I didn't try it due to the lack of any mention of how to turn it back on again! I think you are right Sturmey and vfr400, it's probably ok to just turn off at the control panel and leave it at that.
Many thanks to you all for taking the time to help, much appreciated!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The 30 secondpress completely shuts down the battery for when you want to store the bike or otherwise not use it for a while. I've not used one of those batteries, but sleeping ones are usually wokenup by a long press or plugging in the charger for a while.