soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
local bike shop

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
The Pendleton features a cheaper Bafang motor and a 300Wh battery. The battery is by a brand called Phylion which I cant say I've ever heard of so would imagine it uses cheap cells that will deteriorate over time...

..Bosch batteries only use premium cells so will last a lot longer and you will get a greater range from the bike.
Strange comment. The 2018 Bianchi Metropole Lady e-bike you sell (£1900) uses a Phylion 400wh battery. Generally, Phylion use Samsung or Panasonic cells. How is that in any way inferior to a Bosch or Yamaha battery?

EDIT: https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/electric-bikes/bianchi-metropol-e-lady-2018-electric-hybrid-bike-blue_380565

Last edited:

rower

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2018
Berks and Bucks
Hi all

I’ve just seen an ebike in Halfords the Pendleton Somerby Electric Bike for £500.

Can anyone give any reviews or thoughts on it?

Thank you.
Kat
I test rode one before buying my B'Twin last year. The bike seemed pretty good for most people's urban a to b requirements but didn't fit mine (which is more cross-country work). If you're looking to just get around town it is definitely worth a look in as rear hub motored bikes are not common at that price! I had a good trundle around the Halfords car park and some local roads for about 20 mins.

Since you're in this part of the market I would also recommend looking at the B'Twin Elops 500E and 900E (which I own), both from Decathlon. Bear in mind the Pendleton tyres probably aren't very good and switching to tougher Schwalbe e bike tyres will keep your mind at better ease from flats and punctures. The B'Twin has integrated lights which is a very handy feature that I don't think the Pendleton does.

Neither Decathlon or Halfords tend to have the bikes in store so you will need to buy them online and have them shipped. But you can still say 'no' at the checkout (though make sure that's the case with their local employees first!).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Hi all

I’ve just seen an ebike in Halfords the Pendleton Somerby Electric Bike for £500.
Website says £750 now, must've let some go cheap & then woke up:(.
Rack is bolted on frame, so can be changed. Unfortunately Seat tube looks unsuitable for children's seats.
Mikel

• Informative

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Shame it's gone back up in price (Halfords prices fluctuate wildly so it could be back down again in a months time)

At £500, you can knock off 10% with a British Cycling membership discount, and there's quidco/topcashback and gift voucher discount...easy to get it down to about £400 of it comes back on offer.

I think at that price it's hard to beat, you could just about get the battery/motor kit for that price, and then fit it to a donor bike, plus the warranty etc...it don;t get much cheaper. Ok it's heavy, a laid back rider style (could be your thing), and a bit low rent parts wise, but c'mon, it's very cheap and you could do a lot worse for your first e-bike. Selling it on you won't lose much

Eurydice

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 23, 2018
South West
Thank you all so much with your input. I went ahead and bought the Pendleton (I didn't know about the British Cycling Membership) for a couple of reasons, mostly it was the on handness of the store and after support, the man that makes the bikes has an ebike himself and loves it and has been working there for many years.

He took his time to explain how to look after my bike and motor along with the warranty and that there were so few on Ebay with the number of them Halfords have sold made me feel that people like their Pendleton Ebike.

So last week, 25 years since riding a bike, I went out with my little family for our first bike ride ever. My Boys were delighted, happy and over the moon that I was joining them and to be honest my heart danced to be out with them.

Thank you all and thank you to the person that invented ebikes

Attachments

Unseen

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2016
Manchester, UK
Does anyone know if the Pendleton can have a throttle retrofitted? The wife has been looking at them (and the Elops 900!!) but she's concerned that on her bad days (suffers from Fibromyalgia amongst other things) she'd need a throttle to get her going.

Reactions: Eagleowl

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Does anyone know if the Pendleton can have a throttle retrofitted? The wife has been looking at them (and the Elops 900!!) but she's concerned that on her bad days (suffers from Fibromyalgia amongst other things) she'd need a throttle to get her going.
Can't answer that.
But being a new bike even if it had throttle option, throttle is only operational once pedalling has commenced.

Wisper bikes was selling older stock models with full throttle which at legal without pedalling, don't think they were step thru though.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Can't answer that.
But being a new bike even if it had throttle option, throttle is only operational once pedalling has commenced.

Wisper bikes was selling older stock models with full throttle which at legal without pedalling, don't think they were step thru though.
Hi Neal, you are correct, they are cross bar bikes, we only have 4 left now.

All the best, David

Julie Bailey

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 8, 2018
I have had the Pendleton e-bike for almost 18 months and to be honest it has been quite good for getting me to and from work, the only issue so far has been the rear sprocket, has just gone to free wheel, which I need to get fixed. I am going to see if the warranty covers this, I think it had a 2 year one.

• Informative

Unseen

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2016
Manchester, UK
Well after another "sit" on a Pendleton and then ANOTHER trip to Decathlon swmbo declared the decathlon elops a better feel but the lack of throttle is still an issue there. So at the moment keeping an eye on good old ebay for Woosh, in particular the Petite as she needs the smaller frame (phew managed to do that without a short joke!)

Covtom

Just Joined
Jun 21, 2018
The Pendleton features a cheaper Bafang motor and a 300Wh battery. The battery is by a brand called Phylion which I cant say I've ever heard of so would imagine it uses cheap cells that will deteriorate over time.
It's a 317Wh 4P10S battery using Samsung ICR18650 22P cells. I manufacture batteries and this is by no means a poor implementation. (I opened one up
)

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
It's a 317Wh 4P10S battery using Samsung ICR18650 22P cells. I manufacture batteries and this is by no means a poor implementation. (I opened one up
)
Thanks for info. I was looking before for same and came across info on 11ah version in link below to pdf. The 'smart bms' has a uart with tx & rx wires that are part of the middle battery connectors. I am guessing here but I think the manufacturer/supplier can interrogate the battery here to see remaining capacity, amount of charge/discharge cycles (guaranteed to 500 ) etc.
https://system.na2.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=1742472&c=1117015&h=6c9ebcf5e81cf6ff8ea5&_xt=.pdf&whence=

Last edited: