Performance line bearing s ltdj

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
For those who are or have been inconvenienced with a broken down motor, I can heartily recommend the services of Peter Collard and his company Performance Line Bearings,he has repaired my Khalkhoff impulse motor ,the one with the Khalkhoff Klack,for less than a third of a replacement motor ,all I need do now is refit the motor & hope the battery pack still has it s wits about it
So if you have a motor with problems, search for Performance line bearings on this forum ,I am sure he will be able to help you.
Thanks Peter , for a very efficient service.

Gerald.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
A little write up on what you had to do would help too because this service is going to be extremely useful for all those guys with rotting Kalkhoffs in their sheds.

Reactions: Barrio Barranco

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
A little write up on what you had to do would help too because this service is going to be extremely useful for all those guys with rotting Kalkhoffs in their sheds.
Back story on my Khalkhoff repair,themotor had lost all drive ,I suspected it was either a clutch or the pawls in the freewheel,the cranks just span.
So I removed the motor which entails taking the cranks off the trims to the battery and the chain case to get to the motor, the chain wheel is held on by a circlip,,then I could remove the chain wheel held on splines which was mounted on, take note the way it's fixed, I could then remove 3 bolts which held the motor,you will need to note the wiring ,2 bundles are plugged in there is a third bundle which is diagnostic cable or update cable , then 2 thin wires which connected to the head unit probably ,then 2 cables which connected to the batterywires, the motor should then drop out.
I wrapped the motor and posted to Performance line ,at a cost of £13 via royal mail, Peter opened the motor to say the reason was the pawls had got stuck and were crashing into the garage wvhich would need reproducing and springs greased and lubed ,there also were some bearings needing g repleacement, and new seals to repair the motor.
The battery needs to charge up, then I can test ride, I think I might need to get the battery serviced too but at the moment it drives the rear wheel ,but haven't tried the motor.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Back story on my Khalkhoff repair,themotor had lost all drive ,I suspected it was either a clutch or the pawls in the freewheel,the cranks just span.
So I removed the motor which entails taking the cranks off the trims to the battery and the chain case to get to the motor, the chain wheel is held on by a circlip,,then I could remove the chain wheel held on splines which was mounted on, take note the way it's fixed, I could then remove 3 bolts which held the motor,you will need to note the wiring ,2 bundles are plugged in there is a third bundle which is diagnostic cable or update cable , then 2 thin wires which connected to the head unit probably ,then 2 cables which connected to the batterywires, the motor should then drop out.
I wrapped the motor and posted to Performance line ,at a cost of £13 via royal mail, Peter opened the motor to say the reason was the pawls had got stuck and were crashing into the garage wvhich would need reproducing and springs greased and lubed ,there also were some bearings needing g repleacement, and new seals to repair the motor.
The battery needs to charge up, then I can test ride, I think I might need to get the battery serviced too but at the moment it drives the rear wheel ,but haven't tried the motor.
After charging the battery ,every thing seems to work fine BORIS the Khalkhoff Lives!

Reactions: Bearing Man

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
We need more stories like this, where bikes are rescued from near death. To complete the story, what was the final total cost?

Last edited:

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
Thank you so much for your support and comments guys. We really need feedback like this to keep going. Big thumbs up.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
We need more stories like this, where bikes are rescued from near death. To complete the story, what was the final total cost?
I shall not give an accurate cost,about £170 including p&PKG, that includes Royal Mail special delivery service for return, worth it for the compensation should it be lost or damaged.
Cost of new motor is around £ 3 to 400 pounds, so well worth doing. If as I suspect , the Khalkhoff klack is sticky pawls, which then chew up the freewheel gear, Peter can fix it, but I suppose it depends on how bad it is, the fine hair springs that keep the pawls engaged are the same type as the ones in a rear wheel cassette block, maybe possible to salvage them or source some from a proper bike shop.
I took the bike for s proper test up a steep hill , and we sailed up ..

Reactions: Bearing Man