Petrolhead saying Hello!

rigel

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 10, 2011
Well, I love cars but I also love bikes and have had & used MTB's for years. For some years I have biked to work -- only about 3miles mostly off road but quite hilly. No problem but we have no shower facilities at work and on a hot morning :eek:

Anyway, have bought a Freego Kingfisher MTB at a discount as model being discontinued.

Have gone for the bigger battery - not required for commute to work but more for days out as lots of cycle tracks etc in area.

On the battery ---- I looked at both the 10ah & 16ah (often called 17.5ah???) can someone explain. Although my 16ah says lithium ion on the top it is bigger and feels lighter than the 10ah. Is this a polymer type and if so is/are their any other advantages apart from the weight?

Love the bike --- it looks good has front & rear discs which I understand were not standard. Still have my normal MTB though but electric does make you a bit lazy!

Hello to all.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
On the battery ---- I looked at both the 10ah & 16ah (often called 17.5ah???) can someone explain. Although my 16ah says lithium ion on the top it is bigger and feels lighter than the 10ah. Is this a polymer type and if so is/are their any other advantages apart from the weight?
Hi Rigel. First the capacity figure. These are not fixd in stone but depend on the discharge rate intended, i.e. the rate the motor uses current. So a low powered motor can allow a battery to yield say 10 Ah capacity, but if that battery is used with a high power motor, the battery might only be able to yield 8 Ah due to the stress when working at a higher level. Basically batteries are chemical devices, not electrical, so the rate of chemical reaction affects them. Hence that battery having two possible expressions of capacity.

Next the weight question. Many lithium batteries use plate construction cells which are encased in welded steel cases like this example. Lithium polymer batteries can use flexible housings so the cell casings can be pouches like the silver metalised ones of this example, these being much lighter.