Help! Phylion carrera battery charging

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
More info is needed.
Can you get a voltage output reading with a meter from the discharge pins ?

Red indicates that the voltage is being measured or is low and green is battery fully charged or at required voltage, may be the Phylion takes a few milliseconds to register the voltage before turning green.

Switching between the two when charging will likely indicate balancing is in progress.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi Iv got a phylion battery that when plugged in the 5 pin charger goes red for a few seconds then back to green any ideas
That indicates usually one of two things:-
1) The battery is fully charged
or
2) The battery charge has dropped below the "safe" voltage for recharging.
A very long shot is that the charger is defective, or your mains plug has a defective fuse.
You will need a multi-meter, to find out exactly what the problem is.
If you are lucky, and it has not been "down" too long, a so called "0 Volt Charger" MIGHT be able to recover it. No promises though!
The only place that I know of that sells them, sells them ONLY in a 36 volt version, though I have seen that other voltages are also catered for by the same maker, as I read the documentation, while recovering my new battery after it was delivered in a very low state some years ago.
I do not know what charge socket you have, so I cannot recommend buying one, even if your battery is 36 volts......as it may not be compatible.
Maybe a bike shop, local to you, can recover the battery, but generally, they only want to sell you a complete new battery!
There is the possibility, once you know what the problem is, of re-celling the battery, with new, high quality cells.
This post is only to inform you of what you might be facing, not to recommend an action, other than maybe using a volt meter (assuming you know how to use one) to identify the problem exactly.
Best wishes
Andy

Mickyroo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 12, 2020
Hi thanks for ur reply the battery wasn’t full the thing has water Ingress thru the button cover that breaks on all these batteries. The bms was a acting up keep going off etc too so the plan is to replace the bms with one off eBay will any 10s 30a 36v bms work and then just use a different charger not the 5 pin suntour one.... also do the bms off eBay have built in cut off if there’s a issue with the bike? Thanks for ur time

Bles31

Jul 4, 2020
No help I'm afraid - but I'll be watching carefully as a hole is just appearing in the cover of my battery button - Carrera Vulcan.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Water getting into the battery is more likely to short the cells than the BMS. The BMS switches off because it detects a problem with the cells. Never let water into a battery because in most cases it can't get out, so will drown the cells at the bottom and make them go rusty.

If the little cover over the switch cracks, put some gaffa tape over it to keep the water out.

Bles31

Jul 4, 2020
Thanks. I’ll give it a try. It’s a nice bike but as well the battery button the plastic mount for the display has cracked under normal wear and tear (3000 miles).
Just a couple of detail bits that could have been better.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thanks. I’ll give it a try. It’s a nice bike but as well the battery button the plastic mount for the display has cracked under normal wear and tear (3000 miles).
Just a couple of detail bits that could have been better.
You can repair plastic parts really well with UV glue. You can buy kits on Ebay for not a lot.