Ping Battery BMS Drain?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
About a month ago, I fully charged my Ping 48v 15Ah battery so all the lights in the BMS were lit and stable.
A few days ago, I thought I would just give it a top up, since it hadn't been used for a month.
Thinking it would only be charging for no longer than half an hour, I went to investigate when it was still charging after an hour.
All the LED's on the BMS were lit, apart from 2 or 3 right at the end of the board where the neg cable exits.
They were flickering on and off and did this for about another half hour, when they became permanently lit and the charger switched itself off.

I seem to remember reading somewhere, that the Ping BMS drains a few of the cells when the battery is not being used.
Could someone enlighten me please ;)

www.mafcleaning.co.uk

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Four cells supply the bms with 12v at all times unless you unplug the bms. All my ping batteries will discharge those 4 cells quicker than the others. Its not problem if you remember to top up the battery now and again. Otherwise, its best to unplug it.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
I have several chargers that i use which had different slightly different voltages. This would also affect the charging times where all the leds would illuminate. The battery cells were all charged but the floating voltages were not quite high enough for the leds which turn on at 3.6V per cell.
Your charger should output 58.4V, if it doesn't then you may be able to adjust the output slightly higher, which will shorten the time you can visually see all cells balanced.
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55288