Ping battery contents?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I didn't want to be cheeky and ask Ping direct, as we already know his batteries are top quality, but does anyone know if he uses branded cells in his packs?

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
To the best of my knowledge, Li Ping has never revealed the source of the LiFePO4 cells used in his arrays. Li Ping has always maintained there isn't a LiFePO4 cell made anywhere in China that he is not aware of, or has not tested for suitabilty. Given this, I think it's unlikely that better cells than his are available.

It has always been believed, the reason his batteries are so reliable, is his deep understanding of how the cells perform, and this is why he designs his own BMS. In fact, I would think the reason his batteries are so successful is due mainly to his management system.

The original V1's were limited to around 0.5C charge/discharge on a 10ah array, this was fine for us guys pulling no more than 15amps, but the Americans quickly ran into trouble trying to pull 20+ amps. The immediate solution for them, was to purchase an array of higher capacity than would normally be needed for a given range per charge.

The later V2.5's and above are capable of higher C rates, again, entirely due to his new improved BMS.

As for your question, by all means ask, Li Ping speaks excellent English and is also very polite and courteous.

All the best
Bob

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Thanks Bob, it's good to know that Li Ping is dedicated to designing his packs to be the best, and your answer indeed inspires confidence in his products.

GT3

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2009
As an unfortunate recipient of a dissected Ping, I can state there is no branding or other indication of manufacturer on the cells.

It's early days, but the 36V 20Ah deals with my 33 mile commute and a few extra miles with no sign of running out of steam. That's on a 250W Bafang, 100Kg+ rider averaging slightly over 25KpH.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
As an unfortunate recipient of a dissected Ping, I can state there is no branding or other indication of manufacturer on the cells.

It's early days, but the 36V 20Ah deals with my 33 mile commute and a few extra miles with no sign of running out of steam. That's on a 250W Bafang, 100Kg+ rider averaging slightly over 25KpH.

Why do you state unfortunate GT3.
Is it because the battery is split into 2 separate units and you didn't realise it came like that :confused:

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
I didn't want to be cheeky and ask Ping direct, as we already know his batteries are top quality, but does anyone know if he uses branded cells in his packs?
I've recently purchased cells from Ping to repair a 20ah pack originally supplied by him.
The cell's are faintly marked on one side with the name SIGNALAB in dotted lettering which is only visible once cell is removed from the pack. The circuit board of the Bms also bears the same manufacturers name.
Ping makes no attempt to disguise the name on either item so I'm not betraying any trust by disclosing this.

Attachments

Last edited: