Ping Battery - how to avoid charger mishaps?

Jasper13

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 21, 2009
Hi all,
I have my new Ping Battery for my Powabyke X6. I built a nice little box for it and the box lives in a handy bag I allready had.

Battery is great so far (early days thou').

A problem I have is, unlike my old PowaByke battery the Ping has seperate Charger and Discharge connections - but because the powabyke uses the same charger type connection - both the input and output connections on my battery are the same type.

Does that make sense?

Twice now I have tried to connect the charging socket to my bike - or the outlet socket to my charger - both situations result in a nasty spark.

Any Suggestions on how I can avoid this? I'm thinking of painting relevent connections Red and Black.

Another option would be to change the connector type on the bike (and battery outlet) What type connector should I choose if I do this?

Is it really necessary for the battery to have seperate inlet/outlet connectors, or could I amend the way they are wired so that I could charge the bat throu' the outlet connector? My old powabyke Bat only had one that both the bike and the charger connected throu'.....

J13

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
What you need to do is to fit a separate pair of connectors of a different type for charging and for charging.

On mine I have used powerpoles for discharging and Tamiya for charging. That way you will never connect the wrong one!

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
You could swop the charger output plug with the battery charging socket, that way you couldn't connect the charger to the discharge/power out connector as they'd both have the same connector, likewise you wouldn't be able to connect the bike to the charging socket.
You would however be able to connect the charger to the bike but thats highly unlikely.

If you have the same as mine, the kettle style plug, you could remove the center pin from the charging socket[unused] and block the hole in the charger output plug with epoxy. That would stop you plugging the charger into the output power socket.
Yes, they do have to be separate connection's for charging and output.

Last edited:

aaannndddyyy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2007
Norwich Norfolk
You could swop the charger output plug with the battery charging socket, that way you couldn't connect the charger to the discharge/power out connector as they'd both have the same connector
That what I did with my 24v and 48v ping batteries and chargers so as to make it imposable to plug the wrong battery into the wrong charger and at no extra cost in parts.

Last edited:

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
I have to retract what I said in my earlier reply, you may not need to have both a charge and power output connections.

After investigating my LifePo4 batterys BMS I find the charge lead and the discharge/power output leads both share the same connections on the BMS circuit board and either can be used for charging or output.

Obviously this may not apply to all BMS's so beware. My BMS is of SmarTec manufacture.