Review Pinnacle Mercury 2021

SaraLou4

Just Joined
Dec 18, 2021
Hello,
I just happened upon this feed and thought there may be some advice…everyone sounds so knowledgable.
Bought a second hand pinnacle mercury for which we bought a new battery. The seller did not supply the original ‘wall plug’ shamrock section but did supply the bike to shamrock section. We cannot get the battery to charge whatsoever and are wondering if it is to do with this connection part.
we have no manual and can’t find one online?
we also can’t find any charge cables complete anywhere.
All we get when we switch the bike on is blue flashing light on bottom section of charge screen. I don’t know if this makes sense but any advice would be gratefully received…

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
The seller did not supply the original ‘wall plug’ shamrock section but did supply the bike to shamrock section. We cannot get the battery to charge whatsoever and are wondering if it is to do with this connection part.
I'm not really following you completely. Do you mean you need a mains lead with a cloverleaf plug like this to connect the charger to the wall socket? If so, £3.99 on ebay here.:

All we get when we switch the bike on is blue flashing light on bottom section of charge screen.
If you're missing the above lead, the battery is likely flat and needs charging. I remember it's a Bafang LED display but there are several that all look the same, some with more functions than others. My guess is it looks similar to this?

The OP has this same bike and will obviously know a lot more about it than me.

SaraLou4

Just Joined
Dec 18, 2021
I'm not really following you completely. Do you mean you need a mains lead with a cloverleaf plug like this to connect the charger to the wall socket? If so, £3.99 on ebay here.:

If you're missing the above lead, the battery is likely flat and needs charging. I remember it's a Bafang LED display but there are several that all look the same, some with more functions than others. My guess is it looks similar to this?

Hi and thank you.
We have just used a cable as you’ve shown and thought perhaps we were missing a trick as some advice is to use only bike specific. I can’t see why as it’s only a ‘supply. The screen is exactly that but only one blue bar showing after 24 hours of charging.
The shop, Evans, thinks it may be that both batteries we’ve tried had been in storage there for a year.
we can get money back and didn’t pay much for the bike as original battery was stolen… apparently! Thank you very much for your response. Appreciated.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
The mains leads are generic, nothing special. You could/should change the standard 13 amp fuse for a 3 or 5 amp though.

Evans should know/be able to test if the batteries they're selling are still good. You should (in most but not quite all cases) be able to check both battery and charger yourself with a multimeter. A 36v battery should charge to 41.5ish volts, and the charger should be outputting 42 volts. Also check if there's a charge fuse in/on the battery itself.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Do the basics and check the charger voltage, it should read 42v output. If not it is faulty.
Also check the battery discharge voltage at the pins/contacts and tell us the reading.

Last edited:

PRM

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 13, 2021
Hello,
I just happened upon this feed and thought there may be some advice…everyone sounds so knowledgable.
Bought a second hand pinnacle mercury for which we bought a new battery. The seller did not supply the original ‘wall plug’ shamrock section but did supply the bike to shamrock section. We cannot get the battery to charge whatsoever and are wondering if it is to do with this connection part.
we have no manual and can’t find one online?
we also can’t find any charge cables complete anywhere.
All we get when we switch the bike on is blue flashing light on bottom section of charge screen. I don’t know if this makes sense but any advice would be gratefully received…
Hi Saralou4. Are you sure the charger is the correct one as the charger supplied (new) with my bike (April 2021) has a figure8 mains lead and not a cloverleaf style one? See pics.
Also on your controller display is it the right hand side "stack" of LED's that only shows the bottom segment flashing? If so this indeed indicates a discharged battery.
try this link for instructions for the controller. https://secureservercdn.net/198.71.233.44/ekx.ded.myftpupload.com/manuals/gen1display.pdf
It took me a while to find this info as the manual supplied by Evans was woeful.

Attachments

SaraLou4

Just Joined
Dec 18, 2021
Hi Saralou4. Are you sure the charger is the correct one as the charger supplied (new) with my bike (April 2021) has a figure8 mains lead and not a cloverleaf style one? See pics.
Also on your controller display is it the right hand side "stack" of LED's that only shows the bottom segment flashing? If so this indeed indicates a discharged battery.
try this link for instructions for the controller. https://secureservercdn.net/198.71.233.44/ekx.ded.myftpupload.com/manuals/gen1display.pdf
It took me a while to find this info as the manual supplied by Evans was woeful.
Thank you so much. We have a new one arriving today so we will see how that goes. Thank you very much for the link and for taking your time to reply.

Bermuda Ron

Just Joined
Mar 8, 2022
Hello Pedelecs, new here and first post. These have just been discounted, and so I am considering picking one up for my wife. How is everyone's experience so far with this bike? Thanks for your reply.

PRM

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 13, 2021
Hello Pedelecs, new here and first post. These have just been discounted, and so I am considering picking one up for my wife. How is everyone's experience so far with this bike? Thanks for your reply.
Go for it... Thats a great price at the moment (£769) for the ladies step thru. Looks like other version is OOS but i did see a cpl of the crossbar versions in my local store a few weeks ago... they were £1150 then