Planetary gear removal

Blackwing774

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 25, 2020
Hi my hub just stopped working so I opened it up and the planetary gears are shredded everything else seems fine but I can't remove the gear plate there was a thin nut sat on top of a silver metal piece on top of the plate I got the nut off but can't figure out how to remove the rest. Near as I can tell it's an mxus 36v 250w front motor from the eplus commute sold by arg9s and bikesdirect will post pics later

Mars

Pedelecer
May 24, 2020
I have one these bikes (non-suspension fork/rack mounted battery version and not the one with suspension fork/seatpost battery) so may encounter the same issue down the road (pun intended).

The only marking on my motor is 'DC36V700C250W19F0620 H' is this the same as yours?

One of the comments on the argos website suggested the motor may be a different model on the earlier suspension fork/seapost battery version.

Blackwing774

Jul 25, 2020
I have one these bikes (non-suspension fork/rack mounted battery version and not the one with suspension fork/seatpost battery) so may encounter the same issue down the road (pun intended).

The only marking on my motor is 'DC36V700C250W19F0620 H' is this the same as yours?

One of the comments on the argos website suggested the motor may be a different model on the earlier suspension fork/seapost battery version.
Unfortunately mine doesn't have this indication

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Hi, my motor is different but similar enough to be helpful.
You need to remove the bearing from the shaft first (tyre leavers , screwdrivers as elevers, bear puller?) on mine the bearing came off with the sidecover.
Then I could remove the large rusty plate holding the 3 nylon cogs using just hand pressure.

Photos might help

Blackwing774

Jul 25, 2020
Hi, my motor is different but similar enough to be helpful.
You need to remove the bearing from the shaft first (tyre leavers , screwdrivers as elevers, bear puller?) on mine the bearing came off with the sidecover.
Then I could remove the large rusty plate holding the 3 nylon cogs using just hand pressure.

Photos might help
Pics

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Mxus looks like it has had severe water ingestion with all that rust matter.

Blackwing774

Jul 25, 2020
The Mxus looks like it has had severe water ingestion with all that rust matter.
Yeah that's what I think but the damn things are supposed to be sealed and I only run it on the road and my god is the customer service shoddy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
How was the Mxus orientation fitted, which way did the motor cable exit the axle ?

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
The motor axle may have been fitted upside down in the forks allowing water to run down the cable and into the motor. If/when you refit make sure the slot in the axle where the cable exits faces downwards.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The motor axle may have been fitted upside down in the forks allowing water to run down the cable and into the motor. If/when you refit make sure the slot in the axle where the cable exits faces downwards.
Knock the bearing off using a metal wedge of some sort. When I had one like that, I used my angle grinder to grind a bit of scrap steel into a wedge with a gap for the axle so that it lifted both sides at the same time. Once the bearing is out of the way, there should be a circlip holding the clutch on. remove that, then use a two or three-legged puller on the clutch if it doesn't slide off easily.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I always try to avoid hitting mechanical things if I can. If you can get a small 3 leg puller under the bearing, that's the best way, but there may not be enough space. An alternative is the kind of puller you can get for taking windscreen wiper arms off of cars. You might find one you can get under the bearing. If not the fork wedge idea of vfr's should do it, but be careful.

Probably a good idea to replace the bearing when you get it all back together. But use a bolt and some washers to ease it back into the hub housing, don't use a hammer.

Last edited:

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Would you advocate putting silicone sealant into the cable exit point? Is there a reason why that would be a bad idea?

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Would you advocate putting silicone sealant into the cable exit point? Is there a reason why that would be a bad idea?
No, deff. not. The cable exit point allows any water/moisture that does make it's way in to escape. If it was meant to be sealed, it would be done by the factory.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
No, deff. not. The cable exit point allows any water/moisture that does make it's way in to escape. If it was meant to be sealed, it would be done by the factory.
I recently took apart one of my hubs where I'd used about 40 ml of ATF inside it. The clutch and cogs looked absolutely pristine. Maybe that's the best method to stop things from rusting up.

• Agree
Reactions: wheeliepete

Mars

Pedelecer
May 24, 2020
This is how mine came installed. Should the cable groove be at the bottom for water egress?

2020-07-25 15.48.44.jpg

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Knock the bearing off using a metal wedge of some sort. When I had one like that, I used my angle grinder to grind a bit of scrap steel into a wedge with a gap for the axle so that it lifted both sides at the same time. Once the bearing is out of the way, there should be a circlip holding the clutch on. remove that, then use a two or three-legged puller on the clutch if it doesn't slide off easily.
Vfr, is there definitely a circlip holding the clutch on the shaft on MXUS motors? The Bafangs I've taken apart don't have one, but the Voilamarts do. If there isn't one, you could just put the 3 leg puller on the clutch and pull both off at the same time.