Please give me your opinions on my conversion before I rebuild!

bikemadvinnie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 10, 2010
I've converted this 1990s shogun bike using a 24 volt Alien kit. I've used it regularly for a almost year now. Not happy with the whole conversion and it has been a learning experience. There's been issues with the Frame (mainly), Kit integration -it works perfectly but poorly integrated (really need opinions on this!), as a result the general bike functions have been compromised! Now I'm going to rebuild I could do with some advice from all you fellow ebikies!

Frame:
It was an ok choice of bike to convert in the sense that it has a steel frame and forks. But has been to restrictive in a number of other features which have been specific to this choice of frame:
Its a road frame and the fork/front wheel toe clearance is small
There's a restriction on tire size
Prefer an A-headset for more rigidity and less headset bearings play
It does not have the modern 135mm drop out at the back, its narrower so restricted to 7 speed (not a major biggy but less space to play with)

A lot of those points will be cured simply with a modern and more robust hybrid frame...

Kit Integration:
The battery position under the saddle tends to bounce a bit on bumpy roads, and the frame does not handle the weight well -badly balanced! Now it is bolted secure properly. So one big question I have is if anyone would know - is the 36 volt back carrier battery mount (alien conversion set up) much more stable? Can anyone think of a fix to this problem -if there was a frame which had specific clearance somewhere for an electric conversion set up or even a best choice frame?...

With the throttle on the handlebars I've had trouble finding a decent gear shifter set up. Tried a normal set up with rapid fire gear levers on both sides – the rapid fire lever on same side as the throttle to control the Rear gears was very awkward. Now have both gear controls on the left to control both rear gears and front gears (See Picture). Leaving the right hand free to control the throttle. It is an improvement but if anyone has had similar issues or could advise on this!?

So I'm not as confident about the bouncy battery and gear lever issue! I've read a lot of old post relating to aliens! Hehe... Anyway thanks for in advance for any advice
Vinnie

Attachments

Paulius55

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 1, 2010
Rushden, Northants, NN10
I have a 24v Alien conversion on my Giant Boulder and have avoided the issues that you have had. I find my battery-controller pack is very firm indeed, no problems with bouncing, I have done the bolts up very tightly, however. I did have some clearance problems with the right shifter but by careful positioning of the twistgrip and the shifter and by a slight re-shape of the shift lever all is well. As far as balance is concerned, no problem. Given that the battery is placed at the same point where I sit on the bike and that I weigh significantly more than the battery there is almost no change in balance/weight distribution when riding. Of course, when I get off the bike the battery has more of an impact and makes the bike more top-heavy, but that is unimportant. For me the 24V conversion gave me exactly what I wanted, ample assistance but minimal change in the appearance in the looks and feel of the bike.