Please help to choose E-bike for 2 child trailer and unfit parents.

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Tbh it will only be good advise if any responders had young tots that they carry around, a lot on here will not be in the age bracket or those who are and have tots don't go down the route of perching tots on their bikes for safety reasons.
That poster poloyadi appears to have been banned *see under their name) - they are just copying and pasting replies from threads?

Gergeyl

Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
have you made a decision? im having pretty much the same dilemma ..
Hi
yes we made a decision. We decided to get the wisper 705se for her as we could try it and the dealer is near(ish 50miles). Plus she has 2 months to build up some more strength. We don't have the trailer yet it should arrive tomorrow or the day after.
So far only done about 15 miles.
My wife really likes it and this is not necessarily the bikes fault but it something got in the chain or something wasn't quite right but on the second ride it threw the chain and the sensor got caught somehow so it's back at the dealer for a fix.

I'll put up something up when she has tried it with the trailer.

Hope this helps
Greg

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Itsashambles

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 20, 2018
oldham
Eek. Thanks. Let me know about trailer, they look hard to judge. Scared, might get a seat.. till it rains. Just a bike I keep getting told. Ha

Dewey

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2016
Arlington, VA
We decided to get the wisper 705se for her...We don't have the trailer yet
Nice bike, just curious but did you choose the standard 26" wheels or choose the smaller 24" wheels? Hope you will enjoy many happy miles towing the kids in the trailer up hill and down dale, I really appreciate my motor for helping me tow a trailer or trailer-cycle.

I noticed Bosch are in the process of updating their 4th generation Cargo and Performance CX motors to improve the torque rating, which should make for better trailer towing capabilities for newer Bosch ebikes moving forward.

Last edited:

Gergeyl

Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Nice bike, just curious but did you choose the standard 26" wheels or choose the smaller 24" wheels? Hope you will enjoy many happy miles towing the kids in the trailer up hill and down dale, I really appreciate my motor for helping me tow a trailer or trailer-cycle.

I noticed Bosch are in the process of updating their 4th generation Cargo and Performance CX motors to improve the torque rating, which should make for better trailer towing capabilities for newer Bosch ebikes moving forward.
We choose the 26" wheel version for my wife she felt quite comfortable with that.
We are looking into getting me one too if we can sort out funds or the cycle to work scheme. It will be something different for sure although I really liked riding it when I had a go. (When assist still worked....)

Gergeyl

Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
hi everyone
Just a little update we both really like the bike but we couldn't attach the trailer yet.
We got a second hand giant peapod and the trailer attachment bracket that goes on the rear axle has too small of a hole to go on the axle.
Also the the rim on the bracket is too small for the nut.
The measurements on the picture represent the sizes we need.

Can anyone (wisper bikes)give advice what would be safe and suitable to attach our trailer.

I don't have a big enough drill bit to enlarge the hole and I don't even know where to start enlarging the rim.

Thank you.
Greg

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
What's up with posts repeated by different members?
Are these spambots?
It's an attempt to get the post count up with supposedly "natural "looking content as a lot of forums don't allow you to post links until you reach a certain post count. Then they likely would try to post a link to somewhere else - they want to try to piggy back off the trusted search result links that an established site like here would provide. But the indiscriminate manner of them often suggests they are bots rather than humans.

Gergeyl

Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Hi Greg,

Unfortunately you cannot attach to the rear axle as the cable to power the motor comes from the rear axle.

All the best, David
Thanks David
I see thats a shame. Can you advise on what could be done? Should we get one that attaches to the rear fork?

Thanks
Greg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
All you need is a trailer hitch adapter which you or someone can make quite easily.
An elongated shaped 2" x 1" flat plate from steel 3 - 4mm thick with two holes drilled in it, one 12mm round to go on to the hub motor axle and one 9mm to bolt your existing hitch to.
Fit the trailer hitch to the hub axle on the other side to the motor wire, my trailer allows my towing arm to attach from both sides.

A very crude sketch.
th_LI (2).jpg

Last edited:

Gergeyl

Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
All you need is a trailer hitch adapter which you or someone can make quite easily.
An elongated shaped 2" x 1" flat plate from steel 3 - 4mm thick with two holes drilled in it, one 12mm round to go on to the hub motor axle and one 9mm to bolt your existing hitch to.
Fit the trailer hitch to the hub axle on the other side to the motor wire, my trailer allows my towing arm to attach from both sides.

A very crude sketch.
View attachment 36957
Thats a viable option thank you nealh.

I just need steel an angle grinder and a 12 and a 9 mm drill bit to buy.
Don't get me wrong If it comes down to it i will do it. I was hoping for something more off the shelf option.
I am a bit annoyed as we specifically asked the dealer for a bike to tow a trailer.
Well the trailer going to in for a safety check tomorrow so maybe the bike guy can sort something out for us, otherwise I'll start looking for the tools....

Cheers
Greg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Trailer hitches are typically for 9mm QR axles so for ebike towing one needs to modify/adapt the hitch for a 12mm hub axle.
The diy adapter plate is the obvious solution, if you need to buy tools and the cost mounts up so try your local car mechanic/garage or a local engineering firm just give them a drawing.

Gergeyl

Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Trailer hitches are typically for 9mm QR axles so for ebike towing one needs to modify/adapt the hitch for a 12mm hub axle.
The diy adapter plate is the obvious solution, if you need to buy tools and the cost mounts up so try your local car mechanic/garage or a local engineering firm just give them a drawing.
Thanks
I was literally just explaining my wife that we need to find someone to fabricate it for us. Your post really helped explaining what I was talking about.

Greg

joelectric

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2019
Motherwell
Would this work Nealh?

Gergeyl

Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Would this work Nealh?
Hi Joe

Was this post a suggestion for me or asking for yourself?
Just checking as it looks like something that could work for me.

Thanks
Greg

Last edited: