Please help with Pendleton Somerby ebike

Macster58

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2020
Hi I am trying to find a replacement controller for A friends Pendleton Somerby bicycle ?.
my friend also has a Pendleton Somerby bicycle white and blue With a 36v 15 amp controller for a 250 W motor that has blown. I was wondering if anyone knows of a suitable replacement controller on its own or possibly a controller with an upgraded display? as I have been looking but I’ve not had much luck as yet. I think I may of found a KT 36v 15A With the right type of connections I’m just unsure whether the pins will match so I would need some sort of help identifying whether or not these connectors would match the connections on my friends bike. Here are some pictures of the dead controller connections.
The controller that I’ve been viewing online is a KT model from the AliExpress online shopping from China as pictured in the picture but I’m unsure whether or not the connectors will be the right type whether or not the pins will match the pins from the old one even though there is the same amount of pins and pinholes if anybody could advise on this I would be greatly appreciative of them .A1FF21C9-CA51-42A9-B491-A3A322F8898B.jpeg

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Julets whether 2, 3 5 5,6 pin use std pin out layout as they are factory moulded and will have a std sequence code for wiring.
Your Pendleton controller and display likely are a different make then the KT so you will have to buy a new KT display as well as the controller, this guarantees compatibility. Can you read a maker name or suffix on the controller. Trunk cable, Pas, throttle etc will work so they can be kept, the hub motor 9 pin Julet will also be std wire sequence so it will be plug and play.

What you will have to check carefully for, is that the connectors from your set up to the KT have the correct opposite M or F connector. If in doubt just buy the complete KT controller kit as the add on's add not much in cost.

Your only bit of wiring will or should be the battery connection.

Last edited:
Reactions: Macster58

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Buy the controller, LCD, PAS, throttle and brakes as a complete set if you don't want to change any connectors. Obviously, that'll take more time to install, but you might find that your existing brakes and PAS are compatible.

That KT controller won't be compatible with your control panel.

The complete KT kit is about £75 from Topbikekit.

Macster58

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2020
Julets whether 2, 3 5 5,6 pin use std pin out layout as they are factory moulded and will have a std sequence code for wiring.
Your Pendleton controller and display likely are a different make then the KT so you will have to buy a new KT display as well as the controller, this guarantees compatibility. Can you read a maker name or suffix on the controller. Trunk cable, Pas, throttle etc will work so they can be kept, the hub motor 9 pin Julet will also be std wire sequence so it will be plug and play.

What you will have to check carefully for, is that the connectors from your set up to the KT have the correct opposite M or F connector. If in doubt just buy the complete KT controller kit as the add on's add not much in cost.

everything you said makes me very happy hopefully I’ll be able to get one that will fit straight away I’ve taken some more photos of the controller I couldn’t get any information off the controller because my friend has worn everything off of the stickers but there is a previous post with an identical controller I’ll update this post with an image from that post with that controller and the sticker because it’s from an identical bicycle hopefully that may help . I Know that I’m going to have to get a different LED or LCD display I’m actually trying to find a matched unit on AliExpress at the moment as I don’t have a great deal of money as my friend is actually on the UK benefits system so due to his ill-health he can’t work but the bike he finds very helpful in getting him around

Attachments

Macster58

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2020

This is the image from a previous post on the site with the same controller. I hope this helps

Attachments

Macster58

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2020
This is the image from a previous post on the site with the same controller. I hope this helps
For some reason the controller wasn’t actually in a box unit it was filled with a grey compound that protected all the components my friend pulled the grey material off gently making sure not to damage any of the components in the hope that we might of seen a blown component that I could’ve and sold it and replaced but looking under my microscope I can’t find any blown components or weak soldered joints

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's a Santroll controller. You can't buy them from resellers. you can only buy them as official spare parts from people that deal in the bikes and their spare parts.

All controllers work the same, so they're interchangeable as long as you don't mind doing the wiring and changing the connectors.

There are some constraints on interchangeability. Any battery that's connected by more than two wires won't work directly with a standard controller. The control panel is often matched with the controller. There is some interchangeability there, but you you need to know about the specifics.

It's very rare for any motor not to be compatible with standard controllers, though it can happen, but no problem with a Pendleton one.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The lcd3 or lcd5 are probably the two to look at getting with a KT controller, if you want really neat and small the lcd4 is vey compact. LCD4 requires more button pressing to see data.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As vrf has mentioned a lot of bikes use only oem stuff which aren't available on the open market so as often we always recommend when issues arise to change everything or at least display and controller for either the very good KT or the Brain stuff, some use the Brainpower stuff on cheaper price though the KT is good value for under £100.

Macster58

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2020
It's a Santroll controller. You can't buy them from resellers. you can only buy them as official spare parts from people that deal in the bikes and their spare parts.

All controllers work the same, so they're interchangeable as long as you don't mind doing the wiring and changing the connectors.

There are some constraints on interchangeability. Any battery that's connected by more than two wires won't work directly with a standard controller. The control panel is often matched with the controller. There is some interchangeability there, but you you need to know about the specifics.

It's very rare for any motor not to be compatible with standard controllers, though it can happen, but no problem with a Pendleton one.
Hi I was looking at this controller and led panel. I don’t Mind doing some rewiring and re-soldering here and there. I actually had to make a new wiring loom for my Freego Hawk which needed a new controller bit I couldn’t locate an original one for it. so I don’t have a problem in doing a bit of rework however the controller and panel that I’ve been looking at are these in the pictures. do you think they would be suitable?.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
KT controller with 3 speed display, the KT lcds are nicer and give you options to fine tune parameter's.

Macster58

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2020
KT controller with 3 speed display, the KT lcds are nicer and give you options to fine tune parameter's.
Here’s the problem the guy that I’m actually doing the repair job for his little dyslexic he can’t understand LED or LCD digital readouts so for him it’s actually better to have an early D the old-fashioned type because he understands that that’s what was already on his bike. So in your opinion do you think the ones in the photo that I’ve just displayed would be suitable as a paired unit I can do all the modifications to the world and the wiring loom if needed which obviously it would be. I just need to know if the controller and the LED handlebar unit would be okay as a matched pair

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
All kt stuff should work, best to buy the controller and display from the same vendor. If the guy is happy with what he is using for simplicity then yes stick with a similar format.

Macster58

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2020
All kt stuff should work, best to buy the controller and display from the same vendor. If the guy is happy with what he is using for simplicity then yes stick with a similar format.
Excellent. Thank you for the advice

Macster58

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2020
Here’s the problem the guy that I’m actually doing the repair job for his little dyslexic he can’t understand LED or LCD digital readouts so for him it’s actually better to have an early D the old-fashioned type because he understands that that’s what was already on his bike. So in your opinion do you think the ones in the photo that I’ve just displayed would be suitable as a paired unit I can do all the modifications to the world and the wiring loom if needed which obviously it would be. I just need to know if the controller and the LED handlebar unit would be okay as a matched pair
Sorry for the messed up writing. I actually use the dictation service on my phone. Sometimes it put words in that are not what I said. Thanks again

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Warning! Don't get an LED panel with a KT controller. You will almost certainly need to change some settings, which can only be done with the LCD.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If you need help with it, it might be a good idea to explain what the problem is. If it's the messed up writing from post #15, I can't help, but someone else probably can.

Last edited by a moderator:

imlivid

Just Joined
Feb 17, 2022
If you have a voltmeter, you can check the voltage of an electric bike by hooking up the prongs to the positive and negative sides of the prongs on the battery. You can also stick the voltmeter right into the charger connection on the battery to get a reading as well. vidmate instagram video download

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you have a voltmeter, you can check the voltage of an electric bike by hooking up the prongs to the positive and negative sides of the prongs on the battery. You can also stick the voltmeter right into the charger connection on the battery to get a reading as well.
Not wise to give out this advise without knowing the charge port type in use.
One has to be very careful with suggesting pokes probes in to the charger connector, one sure way of getting Kentucky fried fingers as it is likely a short will occur with full voltage or the SOC available.

Clive Norwell

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 16, 2017
Tiverton
Hi all, after a week of trying to find a replacement display for my Pendleton Somerby and reading many of posts like this, I found that Halfords have discontinued the 790 display for the Pendleton........BUT, if you look on their website at part number 196086 it is exactly the same (with walk button) for an Apollo transport E-bike, I fitted one tonight and everything now works as it should.

Reactions: Tony1951 and Az.