Police say electric bikes illegal in Northern Ireland

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
"While of course any individual police officer will always have discretion to deal with matters as they deem appropriate and according to the individual circumstances that prevail,"

Bit vague, but still think you`ll be overlooked if you`re seen riding it like a bicycle and not behaving like a pillock.

• Agree
Reactions: TedG

MRMAC9

Pedelecer
May 24, 2015
"While of course any individual police officer will always have discretion to deal with matters as they deem appropriate and according to the individual circumstances that prevail,"

Bit vague, but still think you`ll be overlooked if you`re seen riding it like a bicycle and not behaving like a pillock.

If you are a senior citizen ambling along at 10 mph on an ebike I don't think that the PSNI will bother you. However, someone weaving in and out of traffic at speed will be noticed. A battery sitting over the rear wheel could be disguised using an old saddle bag. Of course if you are involved in an accident that requires a police presence, the game will be up.

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

My reading of this is ... If you using the bike sensibly, the psni officer will ignore you. They will see the battery and the motor but will ignore it. If you are involved in a collision or an accident all bets are off. They won't be prosecuting on the basis it's an ebike, but would if it was wanton and furious...

• Agree

MRMAC9

Pedelecer
May 24, 2015
I have seen car thieves in Belfast ramming police landrovers and getting away with it. Drop a cigarette butt in the city centre and you could face a fine. Drop 20 tons of litter during a 'traditional' parade and there will be no consequences from the PSNI. This is one of the craziest places on earth to live. So, you ebikers get together and hold a peaceful demo ride to show that you are no threat to anyone.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
but they cant fine you if they dont know who you are as it is a private company for profit via permission from the council.

they can only fine you if you admit guilt and give ur personnel details just say feck off and walk away and pick up the rubbish cant do jack shite.

• Agree

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Indeed, including invading neighbouring sovereign countries with masses of troops , as Mr Robinson did in one occasion.
LOL!!

Well if you`re gonna tell a story don`t hold back on the lies!

Peter Robinson along with approx 100 supporters paraded down the main street of Clontibret, the Garda appeared, supporters hi-tailed it back across the border and Robinson was arrested. FACT! as you rightly know!

Now lets compare that to the actions of your own parlimentary TD there in Louth shall we, a certain Mr. Gerry Adams??

Or do you not want to go there???

....didn`t think so

• :D

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
LOL!!

Peter Robinson along with approx 100 supporters paraded down the main street of Clontibret, the Garda appeared, supporters hi-tailed it back across the border and Robinson was arrested. FACT! as you rightly know!

Now lets compare that to the actions of your own parlimentary TD there in Louth shall we, a certain Mr. Gerry Adams??

....didn`t think so
LOL!!

....didn`t think so
As I have said on a few occasions, I am no fan of Mr Adams and have never ever voted for him or his party. Can't say fairer than that!

• Agree

MRMAC9

Pedelecer
May 24, 2015
LOL!!

....didn`t think so

This forum is not the place for discussing the merits of Mr Adams or Mr Robinson. Anyone studying an unbiased history of the northern state will know why it blew up in the face of the British government in 1969.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
..........and back to ebikes (cough, cough)

If it interests the court, I ride my bike right past the local police station every single day. (In Derry)

I also agree with the PSNI statement, technically still illegal but no-one has ever been prosecuted and its unlikely that anyone ever will.

Unless your riding like a pillock!

Eventually, Stormont will realise they have to go back to work and even more eventually after that the law will be amended to bring us in line with the UK.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
This forum is not the place for discussing the merits of Mr Adams or Mr Robinson. Anyone studying an unbiased history of the northern state will know why it blew up in the face of the British government in 1969.
I would agree, however every so often Tommie introduces the topic in one guise or another and it needs to be countered. As long as he does not introduce these topics, I will not respond.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
I would agree, however every so often Tommie introduces the topic in one guise or another and it needs to be countered. As long as he does not introduce these topics, I will not respond.
I would also agree, however every so often Danidl just cannot resist a sly dig at the folk up North, obviously something has riled him up in this instance to be talking of an `invasion` by Peter Robinson with `masses of Troops`!! I remember the event well, a lot of yahoos running up and down the street with flags waving until the Garda showed up and then they scampered. Maybe Dan didn`t take kindly to be reminded his MP is Gerry Adams,..... well, i mean who would??!!
I don`t mind the banter at all, but please try to be accurate in your posts Danidl.