Powabyke euro very slow.

bikerlen

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 16, 2008
Hi everyone,
Wonder if someone here could help me please, i have a euro bike 6 speed, i have had problems for sometime with, first of all it stopped completely, i found this to be the springs that hold the brushes in, i replaced these. next i go out on it but speed only about 10 mph if lucky, come to slight slope even less. have replaced throttle with a new replacement yesterday, still same very slow. have now took the battery voltage direct to motor, and can get according to my speedometer computer thing states it is 16 mph. but it does seem to be pulsesating a little, like it wants to go more. im thinking that wheel with no load should go a lot faster then 16 mph. please can anyone throw any light on this for me please. hope someone here understands what is happening to my cycle. many thanks for looking. bikerlen. :D

bikerlen

Oct 16, 2008
many thanks mutmost, looks like im going to be requiring a new control circuit board. bikerlen. :D

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
Hi everyone,
Wonder if someone here could help me please, i have a euro bike 6 speed, i have had problems for sometime with, first of all it stopped completely, i found this to be the springs that hold the brushes in, i replaced these. next i go out on it but speed only about 10 mph if lucky, come to slight slope even less. have replaced throttle with a new replacement yesterday, still same very slow. have now took the battery voltage direct to motor, and can get according to my speedometer computer thing states it is 16 mph. but it does seem to be pulsesating a little, like it wants to go more. im thinking that wheel with no load should go a lot faster then 16 mph. please can anyone throw any light on this for me please. hope someone here understands what is happening to my cycle. many thanks for looking. bikerlen. :D
From what you say above, I think that you need a new set of brushes. The brushes should be attached to the spring from new. If you have already replaced the springs with new it might be worth swapping them round and trying the bike out again. Did you receive any instructions with the replacement springs/brushes? Ensure that the connections are clean.

bikerlen

Oct 16, 2008
THanks Dynamic Position, you have i think solved the problem, i did not buy new springs i actually took some springs out of a biro, so they certainly aint attached as such to the brushes. i be on phone first thing monday morning to order some new brushes. thanks for reply. bikerlen. :D

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
THanks Dynamic Position, you have i think solved the problem, i did not buy new springs i actually took some springs out of a biro, so they certainly aint attached as such to the brushes. i be on phone first thing monday morning to order some new brushes. thanks for reply. bikerlen. :D
Bikerlen,

You should notice a big difference once the new brushes have had time to bed in.

monster

Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
whats the procedure for replacing brushes in a hub motor? i took apart a chain drive motor once and it was a real bitsh getting the 4 brushes back in. where do you buy brushes from?

i have a brushed crystalyte hub motor so i will have to do this at some point.

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
After reading through these posts again and before you purchase new brushes. Have you removed and replaced the brush set and springs or just the springs? If you have then you should be able okay ordering new and fitting yourself. If not you will have to assess that you can. From what information I have tried to glean from the internet, the task might best left to an e-bike technician with relevant experience. As part of the procees you should remove any build up of carbon dust.

bikerlen

Oct 16, 2008
Thanks for reply again, yes i am able to do the job myself, i only replaced some broken springs last time, with not the right spring being put back in. so i think i will get some new brushes and try that. nothing to lose as brushes not had much life left in them anyway. i let you know how i get on when i fitted them. cheers bikerlen.