Powabyke hub motor faulty

j4ck100

Just Joined
Feb 23, 2011
Hi Guys,

I have a powabyke shopper electric bike, which has been fine, but it has now developed a motor problem. I will detail the problem as accurately as possible. Half the time now when you twist the throttle, the motor will spin up, but not propel the bike forward. You can clearly hear the motor spinning, but there is nothing being transferred to the front wheel. You then might here some loud clicking noises, which might reverbarate through the handlebars, and then it might work again, and propel you forward, and then cut- out again. You can be stationary, with full throttle, and the motor spinning at full. I hope someone can help me.

Thanks in Advanced

Jack

theskip1

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2010
sm6
Hi Guys,

I have a powabyke shopper electric bike, which has been fine, but it has now developed a motor problem. I will detail the problem as accurately as possible. Half the time now when you twist the throttle, the motor will spin up, but not propel the bike forward. You can clearly hear the motor spinning, but there is nothing being transferred to the front wheel. You then might here some loud clicking noises, which might reverbarate through the handlebars, and then it might work again, and propel you forward, and then cut- out again. You can be stationary, with full throttle, and the motor spinning at full. I hope someone can help me.

Thanks in Advanced

Jack
these motors have internal clutches which disengage at 15mph. it sounds like yours is sticking. you will have to strip the motor down and regrease the inside but be carefull try not to let the gears drop out until you have memorised where they go!