Powabyke Shopper Battery question

NeilP

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2010
Hi all

I have a friend who has a Powerbyke shopper, and have done odd fixes on it in the past. And she has asked for help again.

Before posting, I did a search on the forum, but could not instantly see my answer. The search did bring up two useful items though

First was that I saw someone saying to test the motor, just connect 12v direct to the. So are these straight 2 wire brushed DC motors? I just assumed they were brushless hall effect type motors

Secondly, I see Frank from Powebykes posts here too. I just sent you a direct mail , Frank, but feel free to only reply here and ignore my mail. Better to post here and inform many

So after the waffle, the real question

I see that for some of the bikes you now have a Lithium upgrade pack available.

Her battery's are dying and I see that on the powabykes website for some bikes, there is a Lithium upgrade pack available.

Frank tells me they ars not available for the Shopper at the moment,
So

I was wondering, if I upgraded the pack myself, what extra voltage could the Shopper electrics handle. could I go up to 48 volt or more ?

Are there controller upgrades or mods to allow greater current? Is there maybe a simple speed limit wire that can be disconnected? connected ?

Or would she have go buy new aftermarket controller.... and new throttle etc etc. I would rather not have to custom build the complete electrics

She lives in hilly area and the shopper struggles a bit in current configuration

What is the max volts and current the standard controller can handle

Thanks

Neil

mutmost

Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2009
Neil,
i use to have a powerbyke commuter which served me well. After some issues with SLA batteries I bought a 36v 20ah ping battery from PingBattery LiFePO4 Battery packs for Electric Bicycle e-Bike & Scooter, Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery to replace the SLA.

I ran the battery in that bike for about 500 miles before I changed kits without any issue and it covered my 20 mile round trip commute comfortably.

The battery has now covered 4200miles without issue.
HTH
P.S I didn't change controllers , i just wired the battery in , it also fitted (with some foam packing) in the original case.

Last edited:

theskip1

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2010
sm6
dont push 48v through the motor the wiring cant handle it. i know because ive tried it, it did last for a few months but eventually melted the solder in the motor. and yes they are simple brushed motor.getting a lithium will make the bike lighter so hopfully a little easier to peddle.the problem is the popwerbykes are all steel and are heavier than a lot of the newer designs.

Last edited:

NeilP

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2010
hi chaps
thanks for that
Good to know the ping packs are ok and will fit inside the original case

Thanks for the info about the motor and the solder melting

I will check out the ping site now and see what they currently have to offer

NeilP

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2010
dont push 48v through the motor the wiring cant handle it. i know because ive tried it, it did last for a few months but eventually melted the solder in the motor. and yes they are simple brushed motor.getting a lithium will make the bike lighter so hopfully a little easier to peddle.the problem is the popwerbykes are all steel and are heavier than a lot of the newer designs.
I know this is an old thread, but I never did anything to this bike at the time, but the owner has appeared again to haunt me with it.

When you ran it at 48 volts, did you use the built in controller and how did it handle 48volts ..at leat before the wiring melted.

If I did this, i suppose I could up grade the wires, but what about the solder? which bits melted? were the brushes OK?

Thanks

Neil