Powabyke small bottle battery replacement

RON FAIRWEATHER

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 12, 2018
Hello , Has anyone had any experience of replacing the old shape bottle battery of a Powabyke X series 24 speed? If so what spec battery did you buy and what results did you achieve . Did you have to change connectors or anything .I would like to get a bit more range and power if possible. Cheers Ron

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
So, everything can be done but it's not quite so easy with those bikes

I think they are still brushed motors (2 wires exit rather than brushless which Is the norm )

Batteries didn't have a BMS used high discharge(but low range) cells

You'll need good cells AND a good BMS in whatever pack.

In the nicest possible way I'd consider selling the bike you have and seeing this as an upgrade chance. Speak to Jimmy at bga reworking in north London. He'll chat you through your options and prices for a battery

Once you've done that have a good look at the market now. Either new conversion

The bike you have is a total bugger to repair (i've tried ) it's very hard to find brushed motor controllers these days and also that model has a speed sensor built in. Basically it's nigh on impossible to get a new one

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Powabykes can be a mix of parts depending on what they have on the shelf I think:D Some X series have brushed, some brushless motors. If you motor is around 5" diameter, it's brushless, around 9" it's brushed. If it's brushless it's prob. worth chucking another battery on it if all else is working ok. If you remove the old battery mounts you should be able to fit a bottle style battery in it's place. You will prob. need to change the connector that goes on the battery and the charger plug. Have a look on Yose Power website, I think they do several different bottle batteries, ship from Germany with a 18 month waranty. As the original battery is only 6Ah, anything over that is going to be an improvement.

RON FAIRWEATHER

Aug 12, 2018
Thanks a lot KirstinS, I think that’s just what I’ll do , I have a Giant frame bike I’ve been considering converting but just haven’t jumped in yet , I’ll try to locate a simple to convert idiot proof kit and get on with it . Cheers Ron

I think they are still brushed motors (2 wires exit rather than brushless which Is the norm )

In the nicest possible way I'd consider selling the bike you have and seeing this as an upgrade chance. Speak to Jimmy at bga reworking in north London. He'll chat you through your options and prices for a battery

The bike you have is a total bugger to repair (i've tried ) it's very hard to find brushed motor controllers these days and also that model has a speed sensor built in. Basically it's nigh on impossible to get a new one

Hope this helps

Thanks i

Hope this helps

RON FAIRWEATHER

Aug 12, 2018
Thanks for the advice , yes It looks like it’s brushed Hub , so the scrap heap it is , I’ll have to start from scratch , can you recommend a simple to install kit with a bit of oomf ? Is front drive a much easier install ? Cheers Ron

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Thanks for the advice , yes It looks like it’s brushed Hub , so the scrap heap it is , I’ll have to start from scratch , can you recommend a simple to install kit with a bit of oomf ? Is front drive a much easier install ? Cheers Ron
Hopefully you can sell on as working still right?

Personally I'd go rear or mid drive. Front no easier in my view

Your choice is really to buy cheap from China but zero support or returns if any issues. Or same from a reliable European supplier

Take a look at Woosh or yose power (Germany). I've had great support from Woosh and also from Brighton ebikes. I've not got a yose kit but other speak highly of their hub kits at what seems a very reasonable price (nealh has one, seriously knows his stuff and rates it highly for the money )