Power cabling question

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I'm ordering a Turnigy watt meter soon and have been poking around my Cyclamatic P.P. to see how i'm going to fit it.
I'll have it mounted on the handlebars.
Without going over this particular bike's layout (probably been done to death already) i've noted the following:
Wiring from battery to motor controller is 16AWG. Only around 5 cm in length.
I will need approximately 120cm of cabling each way from the controller/battery to the Turnigy unit.
Question: will i need to use a slightly heavier guage wire for this run, to compensate for any extra resistance, or will 16AWG suffice?
I'm unsure if this regarded as short enough not to really make any difference.
The aim is to make the Turnigy as electrically transparent as possible for accurate readings.

jkirkebo

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2009
If you order a Cycle Analyst instead you won't need to run power cables all the way to the handlebars...

Psycosis

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2009
Walton On Thames
I am running red 27awg cable that i bought from halfords. This doesn't pose any problem, quite a bit thicker than what you are planning on using. I have thought about running up to my handlebars, but figured i can take a peek if i need to when i stop. Plus the vent in the back may get water in it when it rains.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I am running red 27awg cable that i bought from halfords. This doesn't pose any problem, quite a bit thicker than what you are planning on using. I have thought about running up to my handlebars, but figured i can take a peek if i need to when i stop. Plus the vent in the back may get water in it when it rains.
27awg? Are you sure......the higher the awg the thinner the cable, the higher the resistance and the lower current handling.

American Wire Gauge table and AWG Electrical Current Load Limits with skin depth frequencies

Last edited:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Beat me to that one NRG.
I'll slightly rephrase my original question.
The insertion of the Turnigy meter would in theory be the same as having a cable run of approximately 250cm from the battery to the motor controller.
Would a cable length this size be likely to affect performance if original specification AWG cabling is used?

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Probably not but if unsure there's no harm done if you decided to go for 14 or 12awg.....

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
I have just wired my Turnigy meter to the handlebars. I think i am probably going to get more losses through the extra connectors i have fitted. I have installed it so i can quickly re-connect the meter to monitor power going into the battery pack when charging. I think this can be another useful aspect to the Turnigy meter than having it 'hardwired' permenantly.
Although i am an avocate of not wasting power so my set up rarely draws more than 7 amps anyway. I used 16awg wire.

Last edited: