Powerbikes Are Hiring!

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
You see, all this is part of the reason I've been self employed for the last 25 years. I decide on my hourly rate, get it wrong and I don't get work. Funny thing is that doesn't neccesarily mean too high, you can be too low - then people think you're no good.
Main thing are, I keep below the vat threshold, don't have any dead weight office staff to support and am van based, so no bussiness rates etc. Also I don't advertise (bussiness cards only) as I get my work by reccomendation.
Maybe someone could set up a van based cycle workshop, tout themselves to all lbs's in the area and advertise to the public too. That way they can set their own rate and if someone treats them badly, they can walk away.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Pricing can be critical Benjamin, take my honey for instance. I have just upped the prices from £4.50 & £5.50 to £5.50 & £6.50 respectively and I am selling a lot more.
The higher price distinguishes it from the cheaper inferior (adulterated) supermarket tripe and consumers once willing to pay out for the quality then for the first time (probably) notice the sweetness is different as well as the aroma and flavour. Local honeys have varying tastes and textures depending on the time of year the nectar was foraged.
I expect I could easily add another 50p to the jar price.
London typical prices are always high and my £5.50 jar gets you £12.

Harrods have new tested Manuka honey rated, the Manuka honey batch they have acquired has a very high quality to it and currently selling a 10oz jar for £2500 each.

D

Deleted member 33385

Self-employment is great! You're never too old for the job you want! Give yourself that job!

It's very different from working for someone else, and not everyone can adjust to it. Most fail within a couple of years. But even if you do fail, it looks better on your CV than "Unemployed". It's much easier to get a job, if you already have a job - even if you've given that job to yourself.

I don't like Sunak's mumblings about increasing NI contributions for the self-employed. Sounds like a great way to kill enterprise, at a time when we cannot afford to lose it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

Also I don't advertise (bussiness cards only) as I get my work by reccomendation.
I find that adding a bit of positive pressure by occasionally advertising, helps to inflate price. Too many money making opportunities, is a nice problem to have. Pick and choose the best ones...

Maybe someone could set up a van based cycle workshop, tout themselves to all lbs's in the area and advertise to the public too.
You also don't need your ideal toolset - if you're nothing without it, you'll be nothing with it.

That way they can set their own rate and if someone treats them badly, they can walk away.
Lol yes, the freedom of self-employment is wonderful. You can't as easily walk away from a d*ck boss...

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Mobile mechanic is a great idea.
Most of the time, you wouldn't even need a van.
All the tools you need for conversion work for example would fit into any car.

Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

Mobile mechanic is a great idea.
Most of the time, you wouldn't even need a van.
All the tools you need for conversion work for example would fit into any car.

Bike trailer'd do, and even that might not be needed, most of the time...

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Maybe someone could set up a van based cycle workshop, tout themselves to all lbs's in the area and advertise to the public too. That way they can set their own rate and if someone treats them badly, they can walk away.
Possibly not that easy to simply walk away, there is still the Consumer Rights Act 2015 with its far reaching tentacles.

D

Deleted member 33385

Possibly not that easy to simply walk away, there is still the Consumer Rights Act 2015 with its far reaching tentacles.

You want to see my contact with three pages of small print lol - customers sign away any rights before I do business with anyone. But the aim, is to provide the best service possible. I only ever do business with people I like, and who like me - that does avoid unnecessary problems. Basic cheap public liability insurance is the barest minimum, but you can buy insurance which covers lawsuits - I've never had the need.