Pre installation check list

Tip1

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 29, 2015
Hi all,

Next weekend (with a bit of luck!) i am going to attempt to install a BBS HD to my Cube Attention 29er.

I have never installed one of these before, (or any bike kit for that matter) but want to do as neat a job as possible.

I have already received the BBS HD and a 48v 17.5ah battery, along with the colour screen and some hydraulic brake cut outs.

I have also just bought a bike tool kit from Aldi (bottom bracket tool etc) and am waiting for a Bling Ring (42T) / Gear Sensor / programming cable / Lock on handle bar grips to arrive.

I intend to install one of the hydraulic sensors and use the other brake lead on the BBS HD for the GearSensor.

I just have a few Q's.

What do you recommend for fastening the wires down? Tie Wraps or the fabric version?

The bottle mounting holes are too low on the frame, is it easy to add another one with a Rivnut?

Also is there any way of working out the maximum range this thing will do? I know it depends on what sort of effort i put into it and gearing etc. I am used to a 250w Cyclotricity stealth so is there anyway of limiting the power to say 250w for commuting to get a better range? I have been reading about the lower PAS levels and they don't strictly do this?

Thanks a lot

Ricky

D

Deleted member 4366

Pas levels cut down the power. they're programmable, so you can have as much or as little power with each one.

Rivnuts are easy to fit, but it's not easy to drill the hole because the crossbar is normally too close to get the drill in at the right angle. If I can't get the drill in, I use a Dremmel with a pointed carbide burr.

To rivet the rivnut, you want it to be a fairly close fit to the hole, then you need two strips of steel or alloy with a 5mm hole drilled . Put the rivnut in it's hole, place the holes in the strips over it and screw in the 5mm bottle-holder screw. Press down on the steel strips to stop the rivnut from turning. If the rivnut starts to turn with the screw, stick a screwdriver between the strips and lever them apart, whilst making sure that the rivnut is held down. screw the screw a bit further down and repeat until the rivnut grips. When the screw is fully tightened, the rivet is complete and the rivnut is ready to use.

Velcro strips or cable-ties is your choice, but with cable-ties, be careful not to pull them so tight that the cable gets damaged.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Latest BBSHDs have a gear sensor wire included.
Check if yours has as it works better than using a brake cutout.

Tip1

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 29, 2015
Thanks d8veh, that helps a lot. I will see how much a Rivnut tool is too.

Unfortunately Kinninvie i thought the same thing, but it looks like the very latest BBS HD's (the ones with the different model number on the bottom) no longer come with the GearSensor lead fitted :-(

I am going to try and obtain a controller with the lead fitted and swap them over when i get a chance.

Thanks

Ricky

D

Deleted member 4366

I've put in loads of rivnuts. I've never used the tool.