Preventing bike being stolen

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
An employer that supports the cycle to work scheme ought to be sympathetic to the secure storage whilst at work issue.

Reactions: Jay12345

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Right lets stop !!!
Jay has now said she is looking at folding bikes, we aren't interested in the work or where it is.
If a folding bike one should buy one that folds nicely and can take it in side so it can be stored safely, more so as you have indicated that your work is during dark hours.
Speak with your employer as mentioned as they have a duty to help, the space for folding bike is small so it only needs a small place in store room or even up against a work desk if one works foom one.
I work P/T, where I work all employees are allowed to take cycles indoors for safe storage during work hours, I even still lock mine up as well.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If a folding bike one should buy one that folds nicely and can take it in side so it can be stored safely
Sod locking outside. I take my folding ebike everywhere.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sod locking outside. I take my folding ebike everywhere.
Agree if I used a folding bike, I would put in in my shopping trolly or take it folded around the shop I'm in.
That's the great thing about folding bikes one can take them where full size bikes can't easily be taken. Most work places have staircases, the emty space under them is where we got management to install bike stands to park the bikes.
I always though remove the battery and take it with me in my pannier.

Any bike left outside on the street for a matter of time on a regular basis using a regular pattern will not last long, it will either be nicked or bits will go missing.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If a folding bike one should buy one that folds nicely and can take it in side so it can be stored safely
And if bikejackers can run faster than 15.5mph, my plan is to beat them to within an inch of their lives using my long quick release Dahon seat tube... but as Mike Tyson said "Everyone has a plan, until they're punched in the mouth."

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Agree if I used a folding bike, I would put in in my shopping trolly or take it folded around the shop I'm in.
That's the great thing about folding bikes one can take them where full size bikes can't easily be taken.
Removing the battery to carry in a rucksack, makes it much easier to lift in and out of the larger shopping trolleys, which have more space for shopping. It then also balances better for rolling folded along train platforms, lifting it in etc. I really couldn't do without a folder, and luckily so far it's managed trailer hauling and everything else I need it for.

Jay12345

Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2020
guerney My friend, she was walking to her work, saved her life last year by spraying red paint over the attacker.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
guerney My friend, she was walking to her work, saved her life last year by spraying red paint over the attacker.
Having a something as an anti attack item is agood idea and tbh it won't be in the publics interest to prosecute should you use/deploy a spray on an attacker/criminal.
The reasonanble use comes in to play so a spray would fall in to this ctegory imv.
Any thing to spray in their eyes or the nose area like air freshner or strong deodrant or perfume would also be quite irritating and disabling to deter someone.

Recently a 90 y/o ex navy boxxing champ was robbed in his house, he tried to follow and find the suspect and by accident saw him go in to a supermarket to spend the money stolen on booze. In the store he walloped him one to get his wallet back minus cards, he gave him the choice to give the cards back so walloped him again. He got his cards as well.
The thief was arrested and was a habitual criminal the 90 y/o not arrested, again it's a case where it would not be in the public interest to prosecute him. The ex boxer was praised highly on line by many so shows the feeling of the public in these inccidents.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Recently a 90 y/o ex navy boxxing champ was robbed in his house, he tried to follow and find the suspect and by accident saw him go in to a supermarket to spend the money stolen on booze. In the store he walloped him one to get his wallet back minus cards, he gave him the choice to give the cards back so walloped him again. He got his cards as well.
The thief was arrested and was a habitual criminal the 90 y/o not arrested, again it's a case where it would not be in the public interest to prosecute him. The ex boxer was praised highly on line by many so shows the feeling of the public in these inccidents.
Boxers and other martial artists, who maintain their bodyweight-bearing circuit training regimes, are a race apart in advanced old age.

Deus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2014
Dewsbury
it depends how much the bike costs say a bike was 1k new stolen it will be £100-200 as will want rid of it asap.

if you get it insured then you wont have to worry about it or get a section one firearms license and buy a hand gun but you will imo get a even worse sentence if you did that lol.
No point getting a fire arms licence as hand guns are illegal

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can buy them if you have the right license and you can even get 50 cal sniper rifles but you have to have a good reason to own one like in a shooting club or own your own land but there making it so hard these days it might as well be impossible to legally own things like this.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Years ago at university, a friend gradually upgraded his bike in about three stages each time it was stolen! Started with a basic bike and good insurance, by the time he graduated it was a fine Dawes.

Sep 13, 2020
Ooo I never thougt about it that I can blind someone that way
I suppose if you used that defence in court they'd assume you were either taking the wotsit, or had learning difficulties.

Sorry, but I just find it difficult to comprehend that you didn't realise spraying paint in someone's face could get in their eyes and blind them, or cause severe damage. Unreal.

I mean if your life's under threat then fair enough, but someone just approaching you for what might be any number of innocent reasons, no.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Years ago at university, a friend gradually upgraded his bike in about three stages each time it was stolen! Started with a basic bike and good insurance, by the time he graduated it was a fine Dawes.
That's well played! He's probably got a Bugatti Veyron by now.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Thanks. Is a tracker installimg worth it
I think so. Nowadays there are ones hidden in lights, so the bike battery will recharge the tracker battery, but I myself have not tried one of these YET!
I use a SIM phone card here with no monthly charges, and with cheap calls/texts.
I have to send and receive a few texts each month to keep it activated, or they cut me off, but thats how I test the unit. I can even test with a vocal call and talk to it as some GPS Trackers, will work as a two way phone, so that you can talk to your child (if tracking them of course!) for example, if they get scared for any reason.
You have usually 3 choices, just listening, just you talking or 2 way conversation. Its not really helpful for a bike, but does allow me to keep my SIM active.
The card I use, is an Aldi Talk card, I don't know if its also available in the UK though, but some company will surely have one available.
No internet, no 5G, no extras, just calls and texts.
There are some phone apps that will do all the heavy stuff, or you can simply decode the text messages yourself, its not rocket science.
If I can assist further, just ask, and remember, not everyone on any website knows everything, but they may have a fractured opinion on everything, and simply talk and opinion, not factual knowledge, so be careful who you believe, especially with regard to GPS trackers!!
There are some trackers, designed mainly for cars and motor bikes,b especially those with an electric fuel pump, that can control an extra relay, to cut off the fuel if the vehicle is stolen (right in front of a Police station hopefully!). I would guess that it would not be too difficult to adapt for an e-bike, so that the controller gets no more power for example..... Not yet bought one of those myself.
Be careful when buying as some advertised as being GPS trackers are NOT GPS at all, they use mobile phone masts and are totally inaccurate, about as useful as a chocolate tea pot! If buying on ebay, ask a direct question before purchase: "is this a true GPS Satellite tracker, or a mobile phone mast tracker?" Then if the lie, you get your money back from ebay.
All trackers under about 20 UK pounds are suspect for not being true GPS tracker.....
Best wishes
Andy
PS. I forgot, the few I have used are accurate enough to see which lane the vehicle is travelling on say on a 4 lane motorway, which I find to be truly fantastic. Accurate to within a few meters on the open road....

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Removing the battery to carry in a rucksack, makes it much easier to lift in and out of the larger shopping trolleys, which have more space for shopping. It then also balances better for rolling folded along train platforms, lifting it in etc. I really couldn't do without a folder, and luckily so far it's managed trailer hauling and everything else I need it for.
An important point for Jay, is that the battery must be (for the owner!) easily accessible. Some bikes make it very difficult I am given to understand.
regards
Andy

• Agree
Reactions: guerney