Price impact of the "deal"?

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
As an example from UK to Ireland:
"Ordered goods £86.50 with £15 courier charge coz post not delivering..
a courier service sent me an email to say it was delivering my items. The email said import duty/tax payment of €38 was due. There was €25.50 in VAT and another €14.50 for an “advanced payment/handling charge” "
Kerching, that's a kicker, eh?o_O

While Amazon UK sent me an email intimating same storyline, so bye bye online purchases too.
Also https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2021/0108/1188437-brexit-deliveries/

The Barista or Tánaiste or whatever he's called here says businesses should 'prepare to be closed until end of March', bye, bye to SME's.
While minister said "we just need one more big push". That was the First World War line, wasn't it? That didn't go well either.

Oh, and Stena have cancelled 12 sailings over next 5 days, across Irish sea due to lack of demand and "supply chain problems"!

Perfect storm?

Last edited:

Kwozzymodo

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Lincolnshire
I don’t think the original £86.50 should include the local tax.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
As an example from UK to Ireland:
"Ordered goods £86.50 with £15 courier charge coz post not delivering..
a courier service sent me an email to say it was delivering my items. The email said import duty/tax payment of €38 was due. There was €25.50 in VAT and another €14.50 for an “advanced payment/handling charge” "
Kerching, that's a kicker, eh?o_O

While Amazon UK sent me an email intimating same storyline, so bye bye online purchases too.
Also https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2021/0108/1188437-brexit-deliveries/

The Barista or Tánaiste or whatever he's called here says businesses should 'prepare to be closed until end of March', bye, bye to SME's.
While minister said "we just need one more big push". That was the First World War line, wasn't it? That didn't go well either.

Oh, and Stena have cancelled 12 sailings over next 5 days, across Irish sea due to lack of demand and "supply chain problems"!

Perfect storm?
Reading that article, sounds like the courier companies have got straight on the case to hoover up very profitable handling charges (suppose it's better than hoovering up all the fish - classic Boris quote :D)

Reactions: flecc

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Reading that article, sounds like the courier companies have got straight on the case to hoover up very profitable handling charges (suppose it's better than hoovering up all the fish - classic Boris quote :D)
I was wondering how it was calculated too, was the duty on 86.. plus 15.. plus 14..
coz they do like their double taxation! 25.. sounds like a lot of 86.. 33%? The other figures added up to 40€, not 38€, maybe typos?
Anyway, it's a mess whatever way one looks at it, and it's us the little people who're gonna be carrying the can.:eek:

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
[/URL]
From 4Sep2020, updated 6Jan2021

It says: "The Agreement provides for tariff-free, quota-free trade and for sectoral cooperation"

I don't think double vat ? and import duty on top sounds like "tariff free"!

But "no new procedures will apply to goods moving between Northern Ireland and Ireland (and the other Member States of the European Union)", sounds like a loophole?, but I bet there'll be a catch .

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You should be able to order from the UK to Ireland without paying UK VAT. However, the exporter may not be set up to sell free of UK VAT. (They didn't think of it as 'export' in the good old days when we were in the EU.) The Irish VAT is perfectly fair, not an import duty/tariff. The handling hoover does seem a bit excessive.

As Woosh has pointed out, there were several loopholes the other way round where goods imported to the UK wiggled around paying VAT (good for the buyer, bad for the exchequer and for competitors who didn't have cheat room). Some of those loopholes are now closed.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
My head hurts from reading all this stuff on the new rules. Once the dust finally settles and the majority of online traders and couriers are on the same page, then horror stories of double taxing should subside.

Could anyone, who has trawled through the blurb, enlighten me please. With the new rulings, would it be financially better to purchase items from the EU, which have a value of less than £135. Or, should I go overboard and get as much stuff as possible, totalling over the £135 threshold?

Does that make sense o_O

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
In fact, ignore my post above. I think it'll be the same as if I were buying stuff from China.
I'll wait until companies and couriers have got their head around what's what.

Reactions: MikelBikel