Prices all very similar?

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Looking at Wispers, and looking at the few outlets for them on the web, strikes me that all the prices are depressingly similar. With most things costing £1.5K+, you get offers, expensive ones, cheaper ones, and so on - think of the online cycle shops and their parts - so why are Wisper dealers not involved in the 'market'?

(Or the other major players, for that matter.)

Allen.

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Wisper Market

Possible because the product is very good with high quality aftercare resulting in a great reputation at a cost to profit margins.

I also think the products are not available in the quantities that would attract the type of selling strategies you describe.

David at Wisper sees the product as his personal legacy to ebiking and puts a lot of effort into building sales. I don't think profit is his primary motive although long term success certainly is.

Stumpi

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2009
Scotland
Looking at Wispers, and looking at the few outlets for them on the web, strikes me that all the prices are depressingly similar. With most things costing £1.5K+, you get offers, expensive ones, cheaper ones, and so on - think of the online cycle shops and their parts - so why are Wisper dealers not involved in the 'market'?

(Or the other major players, for that matter.)

Allen.
Electric bikes companies just don't produce the volume to sustain large discounts unless maybe you get the end of the range item or a shop that’s closing down. Sony for example produce so many items they can afford lose leaders to promote the brand

I think this is more along the lines of motorcycle shops. In most dealers there is the standard list price. BMW and Harley for instance you are very unlikely to get anything knocked off the list price but they may throw in a few extras to sweeten the deal. Other brands may drop a few quid if you ask.
Everything is negotiable my advice would be when you in a position to do a deal, know exactly what you want then haggle. If the shop thinks your just testing the water and seeing what’s around they are unlikely to give you their best price. If however they think there is a deal to be done there and then well at the very least you'll get a few bits and bobs added

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Points taken. It really was just a passing thought, and I was wondering whether the MANUFACTURERS had a hand in some sort of de facto price fixing, rather than the retailers.

When it comes to buying, I shall be much more interested in potential after-sales service and back-up, than in saving a hundred quid or so.

(And what has in fact swayed me towards Wisper was David's postings on this very web site - you don't get many retailers showing quite as much commitment.)

Allen.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Points taken. It really was just a passing thought, and I was wondering whether the MANUFACTURERS had a hand in some sort of de facto price fixing, rather than the retailers.

When it comes to buying, I shall be much more interested in potential after-sales service and back-up, than in saving a hundred quid or so.

(And what has in fact swayed me towards Wisper was David's postings on this very web site - you don't get many retailers showing quite as much commitment.)

Allen.
That would be illegal of course. :p
Wisper has dropped dealers who provided sub standard aftersales service, that has included cut price ebay dealers as well as full price dealers.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
price fixing is a criminal offence in this country (and the EU) and even "free market" competitors think nothing of blowing the whistle to "nanny state" regulators if they think their rivals are up to stuff like this..

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Ebikes direct is where I got my Wisper from - there are no nearby dealers in Ipswich - I don't own a car and Cambridge takes just as long to get to as London!

They are a good online dealer - I haven't had much contact with them since the initial purchase but thats because Wisper's staff have been very helpful both before and after the sale.

BBB

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2007
As a retailer, we do not discount electric bikes from their RRP. The reason being is that this is not a stack 'em high , sell 'em cheap product.

We started with the low end bikes, and that was a massive learning curve in fact, I still have bikes in my store room that I will not sell to customers, after realising that they were not up to the job, and all we would get is complaints and a bad reputation. So we stuck with the best low end bikes and sometimes we spend hours and hours finding a fault, which we do not charge the customer for. However, we do have to make a profit, so that is what the normal mark up is for, to cover the good and the bad.

When you have to face your customers daily and want to continue in business, service is king, so that's what we try our very best to do.

We have recently taken on two high end brands, which will mean less headaches and probably more profit, which means we can offer our customers an even better choice of bikes and carry a better stock of parts.

Customers are king in this competetive world, but they can't have it both ways!

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Customers are king in this competetive world, but they can't have it both ways!
I read somewhere of a shop that had a notice reading something like:

Great Service, Fully Qualified Mechanics, Low Prices.
Pick any 2 from 3 :)

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Great Service, Fully Qualified Mechanics, Low Prices.
Pick any 2 from 3 :)
I'm going to nail this to my forehead for any other lapses in common sense that I might suffer from.

Allen.