Pro Connect 2009 (fast pedelec > 25km/h)

E-Kagu

Just Joined
Aug 31, 2008
Hello,

I’ m a new member of this forum.
I came from germany, so I’m not a native speaker. Please apologise my bad english.

Some days ago I have visited my bicycle dealer to test the Kalkhoff Pro Connect. I can confirm the possitive Pro Connect reviews.

My bicycle dealer told some information about the new 2009 Pro Connect S with 9-speed Deore XT. It is a fast pedelec with a speed > 25 km/h. (He told me that it will reach 35 – 40 km/h). Because of the high maximum speed, in Germany a licence plate (insurance indicator ?) is needed. He has kindly given me a photocopy of the 2009 Kalkhoff catalogue page.

Technical data:

250 W Panasonic System
26V / 10 Ah
Hydraulic rim brakes (Magura HS33)
Adjustable suspension fork, with Hydraulic-Remote-Lockout
Derailleur Shimano Deore XT (front 41, back: 11-32)
Sorry, there is no information about the weight

The Panasonic chainguard is a little bit different compared to the 2008 Pro Connect (It is a little bit shorter and it is black)

Recommended retail price: 2.799,- €

He has ordered one bike and it will be available at Januar 2009.

What do you think about the new fast Pro Connect S?

Meanwhile I have found the bike at Ebay (Raleigh Dover 40):
Raleigh Dover 40 Elektrorad bis 40km/h Neuheit 2009 NEU bei eBay.de: Fahrräder (endet 05.09.08 18:32:06 MESZ)

Kind regards

E-Kagu

Intex

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2008
E-Kagu, If you have tried the bike, can you tell me if the motor will run the bike, without pedalling, or will the motor only start if you begin to pedal?
Thanks

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Hi E-Kagu

Fortunately I had the opportunity of trying one of these out :D they are a very nice and fast bike. They look fantastic too.

I dont think that they would be any good at carrying anything though, very thin tyres and wheels, not a utility bike at all.

I am sure though that they will be very popular.

John

(btw your english is better than my german)

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
E-Kagu, If you have tried the bike, can you tell me if the motor will run the bike, without pedalling, or will the motor only start if you begin to pedal?
Thanks
Its a Panasonic the same as other Kalkhoffs, and so assist by providing power through the chain only when you pedal as well.

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And it will be illegal in Britain. Germany enjoys a legal high speed class as well as the usual law, unique in the EU, though outside the EU Switzerland has a high speed e-bike class as well.

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
I dont thnk this will be an offical factory bike but rather a custom based on the current bike with revised parts and hence the revised price tag. I saw something similar at 50 cycles when they were exploring the possibilities for moddded connects.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I dont thnk this will be an official factory bike but rather a custom based on the current bike with revised parts and hence the revised price tag. I saw something similar at 50 cycles when they were exploring the possibilities for moddded connects.
I think you'll find it is a Derby Cycles production bike Paul, since there's a Raleigh version as well as the Kalkhoff. They'll sell ok in Germany and Switzerland, and Austria seem to be a bit tolerant about powered two wheeler speeds.

I know Derby Cycles were intending a high speed version as early as last year, not unusual since BikeTech have done the same with the Panasonic unit for some while in their Flyer S model with similar performance.

Interesting that Derby Cycles have also used the "S" designation.

Hand Tight

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 19, 2008
Hi e-kagu, I'm new to the forum myself and also doing a bit of research. When you mention the Kalkhoff 2009 catalogue does it mention euro pricing for the Pro Connect?

I recently saw a reference on the company's website to this model being available for €1500. Curiously this translates as £1500 sterling retail in Britain....

cheers
Reg

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
And it will be illegal in Britain. Germany enjoys a legal high speed class as well as the usual law, unique in the EU, though outside the EU Switzerland has a high speed e-bike class as well.
Copy that Flecc. I spoke to 50cycles on the phone the other week after discovering about the new faster 2009 Pro Connect Sport. I was told categorically I would not not be allowed to buy one from them next year and that they would mainly be supplying it to the American market as it is illegal to sell that new higher speed model here.

It's bog standard vanilla flavour in the Pro connect for the UK if you want one.
- Doh!

P.S. And they alluded to it being MUCH higher priced than the current Pro Connect too.

Last edited:

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
I think you'll find it is a Derby Cycles production bike Paul, since there's a Raleigh version as well as the Kalkhoff. They'll sell ok in Germany and Switzerland, and Austria seem to be a bit tolerant about powered two wheeler speeds.

I know Derby Cycles were intending a high speed version as early as last year, not unusual since BikeTech have done the same with the Panasonic unit for some while in their Flyer S model with similar performance.

Interesting that Derby Cycles have also used the "S" designation.
Cheers Flecc, I stand corrected. the good folks at 50c would seem to be ahead of the game months ago!

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
I recently saw a reference on the company's website to this model being available for €1500. Curiously this translates as £1500 sterling retail in Britain....
cheers
Reg
Not so. 'Ab €1500' means the Pro Connect pedelec is in their highest €1500+ category. Kalkhoff's RRP for the Pro Connect was €2199 last time I checked, which is around £1790, so UK customers are saving nearly £300 on that.

Last edited:

Intex

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2008
Thanks for the info, this sounds like exactly what I want, as I also live in the US, I can have this shipped there no problem.

What exactly is the major differences between this and the regular ProConnect ?
How do they achieve the faster speed, not with just the different gearing ??
Have these begun to sell somewhere? They must if they were on Ebay, or not. Unfortunately NO delares in Paris, so I can try it here.

Intex

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2008
OK, After looking at the Ebay pixs, I see the new bike has derailleurs at the rear, as opposed to the Nexus system on the Reg ProConnect.

Can this account for the speed diff?

Also I do not read German, but does it say available in Dec? I wonder if the price listed on Ebay will be the reg price, or is this a premium for first comers?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thee are software differences Intex, which mean the power is available over a wider range. That's coupled to higher gearing and some gain in efficiency due to the derailleur, all adding up to the high speed. BikeTech in Switzerland were the first to do this with their Flyer S model some while ago, and I think some of the modifications were probably started by them rather than Panasonic. For example some of their models have a "walk alongside" low speed throttle for coping with very steep hills.

Intex

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2008
JohninStockie:
Since you have ridden the new ProConnect 2 (Hi-Speed version), can you tell me how it differs from the regular ProConnect?

You stated that it has thinner tires, is the rest of the frame the same, and also does it have front/rear fenders or did they do without those?

Since I live in a hilly area, is the new bike more suited to high speed, but not that good on hills?

Thanks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
While you await an answer from John, below are links to information on the BikeTech Flyer S, a similar bike to the Pro Connect S.

This first link shows the three versions of the Flyer S

This second link is a rider's impressions on the performance of the Flyer S, probably similar to the Pro Connect S.

Pat's tryout of the Flyer S

Beanie101

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2008
Verbier, Switzerland
While you await an answer from John, below are links to information on the BikeTech Flyer S, a similar bike to the Pro Connect S.

This first link shows the three versions of the Flyer S

This second link is a rider's impressions on the performance of the Flyer S, probably similar to the Pro Connect S.

Pat's tryout of the Flyer S
I posted a review of the Flyer T14HS on the site last week which is awaiting moderator approval. This is more of a tourer than the S-Series, so it would probably be more akin to a high speed Kalkhoff Agattu, if such a thing exists. Even so, it has blown my socks off.

For anyone interested in the Flyer series, the first link that Flecc provides, although in German, gives a much better view of what's on offer than the Flyer company's own website. If you can negotiate your way through to the videos, the second video showing an extreme mountain-climbing test and the Flyers in production, is very interesting.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
JohninStockie:
Since you have ridden the new ProConnect 2 (Hi-Speed version), can you tell me how it differs from the regular ProConnect?

You stated that it has thinner tires, is the rest of the frame the same, and also does it have front/rear fenders or did they do without those?

Since I live in a hilly area, is the new bike more suited to high speed, but not that good on hills?

Thanks
Hi Intex

There seems to be a bit of confusion creeping in over exactly which model is which. The version I rode was a very light road type of bike with a flat bar, 21/24 speed derailliers, and obviously no suspension. Looking at the Derby cycles link the 2009 models there are not the one that I rode. Since this I have had a chat with Lloyd at 50C and he has now told me that this was a 'one-off concept model' :( and that their new models are the same as the Derby ones :(.

So as it stands, it looks like the Flyer S is the fastest true pedelec around (unless Derby have a change of heart or we hear how that new model performs). Oh and anything with a Panasonic drive will climb any hill you can find.

John

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
sport

Scott

This new model sounds amazing when will it be available in the UK? Can we test ride it at the cycleshow.

What is the price difference between the swiss flyer and the proconect sport?

thx

Bob