Pro Connect Battery

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
I bought a PC in July 2008.
By Dec 2008 the battery was faulty registering 3 lights on the test.
It was replaced under warranty by 50C,

Tonight I got home after doing my 14 mile round trip with the single light flashing on the control and on the battery. Outside temp was a few degrees above zero. The 10 second test showed 3 lights. This means that the battery is failing after just two years and 384 charges as I charge it every night. (48 weeks x 2 x 4 days = 384 charges)

I must now think about getting a new battery.
50 Cycles website shows three different batteries and I am at a loss to know which one would be suitable for a July 2008 PC.
Also their website states 'order for Spring 2011' which seems to imply that they don't have any at the moment!
Is there anyone else who supplies this battery?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
You would probably be able to get a replacement battery from On-Bike as they sell Panasonic powered bikes.

I am in a similar situation to you. My first two batteries were replaced under warranty, that last one being supplied in January 2009 making it just 2 years old. It certainly won't complete my 20 mile round trip commute on one charge. I have to top it up at work these days. Given the cost of these things and what was initially promised, it is hugely disappointing and knocks a big hole in any saving made on petrol.

I think that I am eking out a bit of extra life by keeping the charge levels between 20 and 80%. Since I have been doing this, the deterioration seems to have stabilised somewhat.

When I come to replace that battery, I will go for the new Kalkhoff 18 Ah battery. This has far more capacity than I need for my daily commute, but I reason that I will never have to charge or discharge it to its extremes. Maybe, hopefully, fingers crossed, this might help me achieve a bit more life out of the thing.

The manufacturers and the sales teams for these bikes, not just Kalkhoff but most of them in general, are guilty of over promising and under delivering on batteries. This really infuriates me and it is unacceptable. I would still buy a new bike again, despite knowing what I know now about batteries and their shortcomings.

I am very sceptical about the new Kalkhoff battery. I was promised 500 charge cycles on my original battery and it has achieved no where near that number. Why should the new battery be any different, I ask myself. On what basis should I believe that it is good for 1100 charge cycles and will still have 60% of its original capacity remaining after 5 years? Certainly not on any ownership experience basis. The only thing that can be relied on is a warranty. If they don't guarantee it, do not believe it. Sadly, the new Kalkhoff battery is big on hype, but wanting on warranty clarity.

Last edited: