Pro-Connect - Problems with 36 Spoke Warrenty Wheel - Gears Slipping

timelordUK

Pedelecer
May 21, 2008
Hi.. .after numberous broken spokes on my 24 spoke rear wheel of my 57cm Pro Connect, 50cycles sent me a new 36spoke wheel under warrenty... thanks guys.... this was speedy!

However.. on fitting it I had to remove the sprocket from my existing wheel and the gear fixings....

With help from previous forum posts on this forum, I have the wheel fully assembled and fitted to the bike... as suggested in the shimano tech docs and advise here. The new Alfine Gears seem very smoth at changing... up to a point... 5 upwards the minute I apply pressure to the pedding the gears slip in and out....

All gears are fully adjusted... yellow markers in the correct places etc..
As it stands the bike is still unridable... which is a shame cos I love my pro connect and now hate driving to work...

any help on this little gear problem would be much appriciated...
regards

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008

Are you absolutely sure that you are in 4th gear when the yellow lines are together? Sorry if I am teaching………… etc etc. It’s all I can think of to help.

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Hi.. .after numberous broken spokes on my 24 spoke rear wheel of my 57cm Pro Connect, 50cycles sent me a new 36spoke wheel under warrenty... thanks guys.... this was speedy!

However.. on fitting it I had to remove the sprocket from my existing wheel and the gear fixings....

With help from previous forum posts on this forum, I have the wheel fully assembled and fitted to the bike... as suggested in the shimano tech docs and advise here. The new Alfine Gears seem very smoth at changing... up to a point... 5 upwards the minute I apply pressure to the pedding the gears slip in and out....

As it stands the bike is still unridable... which is a shame cos I love my pro connect and now hate driving to work...

any help on this little gear problem would be much appriciated...
regards
I havn't experienced enough problems to be able to help, so it probably means a call to Lloyd on Monday.

It is worth trying a little adjustment on the cable, trying either side of the perfect alignment of the yellow marks. No more than the thickness of the yellow line.

When I changed hubs, I found I had run out of adjustment in the direction of screwing the cable adjuster OUT of the lever box on the handlebars. I needed to move the bolt on the inner cable about 1mm shorter to be in the right area of adjustment for the new gear. The best setting for good meshing was just a little off the exact alignment of the marks.

I think that is about all that can be done from the outside, and probably best not to go inside when the gear is under warranty.

James

timelordUK

Pedelecer
May 21, 2008
Definitely in 4th gear and got the little yellow markers aligned.... I have tried it just off alignment in both ways.

Gears work perfectly 1-4
Nothing works 5-8

I am not sure the length of the cable will make any difference as I have plenty of leeway either side of the yellow markers.

I am beginning to think I have a faulty hub.

Not happy !!!

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Definitely in 4th gear and got the little yellow markers aligned.... I have tried it just off alignment in both ways.

Gears work perfectly 1-4
Nothing works 5-8

I am not sure the length of the cable will make any difference as I have plenty of leeway either side of the yellow markers.

I am beginning to think I have a faulty hub.

Not happy !!!
You have probably already checked this,but is the cable frayed at all is it able to run smoothly enough to allow the gear changes,also i once had to shorten a stretched cable as this fouled the casing.

timelordUK

Pedelecer
May 21, 2008
Ok spend a few hours this morning again on the 36spoke wheel..
Taken it apart and reassembled for a fourth time... following full instructions...

Gears 1-4 work fine under any load.
Gears 5-8 engage and under really light load (me hand turning gently whilst upside down) work fine. If i hand turn harder, gears slip.
I have adjusted the adjuster screw to move the yellow lines slightly.. doesn;t work

Cable length is exactly 101mm as specified.

Even when I manually move the gear cassette gently between gear positions, it never engages in gears 5-8.

Conclusion..

Warrently wheel has a faulty hub.

Will phone 50cycles Monday..
I now hate driving... so i hope this will be rectified quickly.

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Hi TL
Sorry that you have had all this trouble. For the record, please would you post the reference number printed on the outside of the 36 spoke hub.

Thanks
James

timelordUK

Pedelecer
May 21, 2008
The only number I can find is SG-s500.

Also... I tried refitting my old wheel, and the hub still works fine on that.... just has broken spokes on it...

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
Questions!

Now that I am kind of paranoid about the number of spokes in my Pro Connect wheels I have also become aware that there aren't any reflectors fitted.

I thought this was law in this country. Can someone explain if this is correct?

Why are they not fitted to the Pro Connect wheels?

The reason I am concerned is that cycling to work in the dark on monday morning, first a van pulled out from a side road on my left across the road in front of me. He waved sorry. I had been wary of him so I didn't have to brake.

A couple of minutes later a car pulled out of a side road on my right and I had to take avoiding action. I don't think he even knew I was there until he saw my extremely bright Cateye flashing in his rear view mirror.

I am now beginning to think I need more illumination from the side and will also have to look around for some really good front lights.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Now that I am kind of paranoid about the number of spokes in my Pro Connect wheels I have also become aware that there aren't any reflectors fitted.

The reason I am concerned is that cycling to work in the dark on monday morning, first a van pulled out from a side road on my left across the road in front of me. He waved sorry. I had been wary of him so I didn't have to brake.

A couple of minutes later a car pulled out of a side road on my right and I had to take avoiding action. I don't think he even knew I was there until he saw my extremely bright Cateye flashing in his rear view mirror.

I am now beginning to think I need more illumination from the side and will also have to look around for some really good front lights.
I find a hi viz jacket or waistcoat helps get you noticed.

Last edited:

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
. . . I have also become aware that there aren't any reflectors fitted.

Took mine off - 'orrible lookin' pair of little bleeders!
- Spokes have enough to do without random 'weight'/wind-catchment attachments unbalancing them.

I'm not convinced they're that effective either - otherwise they'd be compulsory for mopeds and scooters too.

Side illumination is a good idea though and I'd much prefer those flashing tyre valve caps which illuminate when the wheels are rolling if I HAD to commute in the morning darkness on busy roads.

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
I'm sure I read on here recently that those illuminated valve caps place too much load on the tube valve. They're really meant for car wheels.

Fishing paul has it right. As much dayglo as you can bear to wear does the trick. I bought a DHB windproof jacket from Wiggle for about 20 quid. It's so bright I keep doing double takes! :D

stevew

Pedelecer
Last edited: