Pro Connect quick release change

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
I've heard plenty about the security dangers of quick release wheels.
The Pro Connect has this on the front wheel and I wanted to change this to a standard "bolt nut".
How do I do this?
Simple and cheap or not?

Hope anyone can help.
Bob.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wouldn't worry about it Bob, the possibility really arose with disc brakes where the twisting force under braking tended to wind the wheel out of the dropouts. Actual cases of this happening are more difficult to come by than articles on the theoretical risk.

I've never seen a problem with rim brake bikes and QD, though I've often seen the tensioners very slack, so properly tensioned ones should be no problem.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
I wouldn't worry about it Bob, the possibility really arose with disc brakes where the twisting force under braking tended to wind the wheel out of the dropouts. Actual cases of this happening are more difficult to come by than articles on the theoretical risk.

I've never seen a problem with rim brake bikes and QD, though I've often seen the tensioners very slack, so properly tensioned ones should be no problem.
Oh no Tony what I ment is that quick release wheels do get pinched more than the other and I wish to change it to a normal bolt.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Bob.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Oh no Tony what I ment is that quick release wheels do get pinched more than the other and I wish to change it to a normal bolt.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Bob.
Oh right, not so easy, since the wheel isn't designed for nuts. You could cut down the lever and use a plain nut on the other side of the shaft, but tightening to a proper tension without risk of breakage is tricky.

Some riders place a tiewrap around the lever and fork leg on the basis that thieves don't carry scissors or thin enough wire cutters. With levers that aren't suitable for that, the thumbpad part of the lever can be drilled and a security tiewrap or wire threaded through that and around the fork leg. Both are delaying tactics preventing the lightning theft that's usually possible.

To do these things the tightening of the nut side must be such as to allow the lever to end up alongside the fork leg of course.

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
Hi Bob

if you get the new york krypto from wiggle or other reputable dealers, you should get a free 7 foot cable which you can put through the battery and your QR front wheel. I'm quite happy leaving my bike anywhere now.

just to clarify, the cable is a tight fit to get through the top of the battery but it does go. I always leave the batterty in situ now when locked

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Hi Bob

I have no experience of doing this, and have not researched the required length and quality, but it looks relatively straightforward:

The front wheel is the Shimano WH-T565-F shown here.

Item 1 on the picture shows the Quick Release skewer, which passes through the hollow axle of the wheel.

SJS sell various "security" type skewers, requiring unusual keys to undo the nuts like this set here. I imagine that the one for the 100mm front wheel is second from the left.

You would need to compare lengths and diameters with SJS.

James

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Hi Bob

if you get the new york krypto from wiggle or other reputable dealers, you should get a free 7 foot cable which you can put through the battery and your QR front wheel. I'm quite happy leaving my bike anywhere now.

just to clarify, the cable is a tight fit to get through the top of the battery but it does go. I always leave the batterty in situ now when locked
I always remove the battery anyway Paul.
Except for when I park it in my line of sight.
i.e Sat outside the pub.