Pro-Cyclist breaks collarbone after Glasgow crash with e-bike rider who 'fell into River Clyde'

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
The most interesting thing that's happened during the UCI nonsense (the BMX was worth a watch though).

I feel sorry for the ebiker that ended up in the Clyde, too many pr1cks in lycra, I don't really get competitive cycling, most are cheats (or need a dump...)? Will be glad when they've gone...

joelectric

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2019
Motherwell
The most interesting thing that's happened during the UCI nonsense (the BMX was worth a watch though).

I feel sorry for the ebiker that ended up in the Clyde, too many pr1cks in lycra, I don't really get competitive cycling, most are cheats (or need a dump...)? Will be glad when they've gone...

From the limited info in the article, it sounds like that pro cyclist should never have been on that cycling path on a training run. I've ridden that path lots of times and it's always a busy route.

Reactions: portals and sjpt

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
From the limited info in the article ......
Says it all really - one of the rules of crap journalism is to not let the truth/facts get in the way of a good story.

To suffer such injuries, you do wonder what the combined speed of impact was (and who of the two riders was doing what) and I wonder what the 'cycling helmet brigade' would have to say about the helmet's role in the injuries?

Reactions: flecc

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Riders should be limited to 100w on cycle paths.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
every drop bar bike that has crashed in to me has bent there front wheels bent in half, was not my fault was not even moving :p

1 guy nearly went in the canal but dragged his ass out the ditch and phoned a ambulance as tko :oops:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
There's not much written about the poor ebiker. Did he drown? Can't imagine that he'd have been travelling fast around that bend. The Pro cyclist must have hit him like a two wheeled missile. The ebiker could possibly initiate a personal injury lawsuit? Was the pro cyclist charged with cycling furiously?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
To suffer such injuries, you do wonder what the combined speed of impact was (and who of the two riders was doing what) and I wonder what the 'cycling helmet brigade' would have to say about the helmet's role in the injuries?
A cracked skull could impede swimming? If knocked unconscious you'd drown? A nasty gash could increase risk of flesh eating infection from sewage dumped in the river Clyde?

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
There's not much written about the poor ebiker. Did he drown? Can't imagine that he'd have been travelling fast around that bend. The Pro cyclist must have hit him like a two wheeled missile. The ebiker could possibly initiate a personal injury lawsuit? Was the pro cyclist charged with cycling furiously?
That's what I was thinking. A friend of mine got injured in similar circumstances, when a guy on a road bike came round a blind bend on a cycle path at a ridiculous speed. Friend's bike was OK, but the road bike was a carry home job. Without insurance and/or legal representation, my friend had to to swallow it, not that there were any witnesses to say who's fault it was. Injuries were a sore shoulder and cut hand.

Reactions: guerney

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
To put it mildly , one can't see a pro rider thinking what a nice day I think I will go for a 12mph pootle alongside the canal .

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
A cracked skull could impede swimming? A nasty gash could increase risk of flesh eating infection from sewage dumped in the river Clyde?
Have you ever tried to swim when clothed and wearing shoes? It isn't easy. The polystyrene in the helmet could act as a floatation aid, though, so next time you fall in the river, remember to take your helmet off and stuff it up your jumper.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
To put it mildly , one can't see a pro rider thinking what a nice day I think I will go for a 12mph pootle alongside the canal .
"This morning I wanted to do two hours to unblock myself ahead of tomorrow,"

Does he mean cycling about at low rpm on his highest gear? I've seen pro cyclists doing that before a competition.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Have you ever tried to swim when clothed and wearing shoes? It isn't easy. The polystyrene in the helmet could act as a floatation aid, though, so next time you fall in the river, remember to take your helmet off and stuff it up your jumper.
They'd find my body easily - pull up the floating helmet.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That's what I was thinking. A friend of mine got injured in similar circumstances, when a guy on a road bike came round a blind bend on a cycle path at a ridiculous speed. Friend's bike was OK, but the road bike was a carry home job. Without insurance and/or legal representation, my friend had to to swallow it, not that there were any witnesses to say who's fault it was. Injuries were a sore shoulder and cut hand.
This is why I never cycle without my (waterproof) GoPro! If I'm at fault and not incapacitated completely, I'd quickly format or chew the SD card. And of course sue them to death if it's their fault...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Perhaps there's scant mention of this poor ebiker's condition, because a Council hand is on the reporting tiller? The injured, slightly drowned, or dead cylist is collateral damage/a necessary sacrifice/small price to pay in order to bring the Wolrd Championships to Glasgee? Can't imagine the organisers would have been too happy about gory injuries revealed to the worthless public.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
im the bowling ball there the pins and they dont go fast enough should have a 50a bafang buy then fkn super man wont beat that :p

every time i go round the country lanes and not seen me b4 every single one cuts me up thinking i cant catch them oh dear ;)

guy done it the other day on the road bike just b4 a roundabout as he was going round i under cut him did not like that going 35mph lmfao