Pro Rider E Tourer bike.

blueboy

Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Bedford
My first post here & I am sure the more experienced members can hopefully answer my questions. I have an older Pro Rider E Tourer bike that has the throttle to 15mph which really is a joy to ride.

I have just bought another one, its brand new but has no throttle to 15mph only 4mph, I know its not legal but I really don't want to be without the throttle to 15mph so want to get it sorted. I have seen modules on Ebay that are listed quite cheaply but I have no idea if they will fit & indeed if they will let my bike do the 15mph on the throttle. If anyone can point me in the direction I need to sort this out I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

blueboy

Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Bedford
Nobody got any information that may be helpful in getting this modification done. I would think the restriction is in the circuit board/module so change that & the restriction may well be lifted but its knowing where to get the module from. There are a lot for sale at cheap prices but its got to be reliable etc. I would have thought that quite a few others would have done a mod exactly like this.

BobR

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 18, 2016
Staffordshire
I too bought my wife one with the 4mph throttle and so I would like to remove the 4mph restriction. I have looked at the controller but cannot see any spare connectors or links to join. Hoping someone can throw some light on it or suggest an alternative controller kit.

blueboy

Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Bedford
Hi BobR, I have a restricted as just bought it & also the older non restricted E Tourer. I have to say the non restricted is a different bike to ride, you can keep a nice steady speed whereas the restricted tears off as soon as you start peddling. I have been looking at the wiring on both & it looks identical apart from some wires coloured differently. When I bought the new bike the chap who prepared it for me says the restriction is in the controller so it would have to be replaced with a non restricted type. I can't find the make & model listed on the internet at all so thats why I looked on fleabay. Have done a wiring diagram now of what wires go where on both bikes so that should help a bit. There are plenty of controllers for sale on fleabay but they don't say if they are restricted or not & not knowing much about these electric bikes I don't want to mess them up.

blueboy

Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Bedford
I too bought my wife one with the 4mph throttle and so I would like to remove the 4mph restriction. I have looked at the controller but cannot see any spare connectors or links to join. Hoping someone can throw some light on it or suggest an alternative controller kit.
Well, I successfully managed to track down the unrestricted controllers in China. I emailed them & they were very helpful I now have my Pro-Rider unrestricted. Still only 15.5 MPH but the throttle goes to that now instead of the 4MPH. Different bike now.

Reactions: LeighPing

blueboy

Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Bedford
Congratulations Blueboy, just shows it can be done. I would like to do the same, which one did you buy?
Bob
I have the E Tourer & my wife has the folding Wayfarer, both the same electronics, I bought 2 controllers & both bikes are now spot on, my wife loves it that she don't need to peddle if she don't want to. I personally think the bike is safer with throttle as you don't go zooming off when you start peddling, sometimes its too fast when in the park etc. You can go at what speed you want to suit the conditions.

BobR

Aug 18, 2016
Staffordshire
My Freego has full throttle, I need it because of my worn out hips, but my wifes is restricted to 4mph. Which controller did you buy? She would love to have full use of the throttle

• Agree
Reactions: Andy1865

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Bob, most Ebike throttles can be opened if you speak to the supplier. If you are thinking of buying a new controller, make sure it is compatible with your bike first.

All the best, David

BobR

Aug 18, 2016
Staffordshire
Hi David, I tried phoning the importers / suppliers, they even if they had the information, they would not give it out as they said, that would be illegal. Seems a little daft as they also sell mobility scooters which have a throttle up to 12mph. I have opened the controller but it is potted in epoxy resin so probably best left alone. I couldn't see any extra wires to connect to. I have photos somewhere.
Hopefully Blueboy will be able to show me which one he bought.
Regards Bob

blueboy

Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Bedford
Hi David, I tried phoning the importers / suppliers, they even if they had the information, they would not give it out as they said, that would be illegal. Seems a little daft as they also sell mobility scooters which have a throttle up to 12mph. I have opened the controller but it is potted in epoxy resin so probably best left alone. I couldn't see any extra wires to connect to. I have photos somewhere.
Hopefully Blueboy will be able to show me which one he bought.
Regards Bob
Hi Bob, yes you are correct that the suppliers have the unrestricted controllers. I called them & they said that they will supply me but to make sure I get the right one I would need to send a photo of my controller (unrestricted) I gave them my email but they never sent me there's so I could not get back to them with the picture etc.

I really don't see their argument that it would be illegal to supply you, if you told them you would be using the bike on a private farm for getting about then there is no way selling you the controller is illegal, after all its just a part, asking them to fit it for you if you bought a new bike then maybe a little more difficult for them.

Anyway Bob, I managed to find the factory that makes them in China, I spoke via email to a very nice lady called Maggie, she was so so helpful, replied within minutes to my questions, she sent me a wiring diagram spoke to her engineer regarding restrictions etc of which there are non. She was very willing to supply me with the part I wanted. I ordered 2 as 1 was for my E Tourer & 1 was for my wifes Wayfarer, they were $180 (about £138 at the time) for the 2 inc post insurance etc.
The suppliers here in the UK wanted £100 each if they would have supplied them so I was on a winner by £62. What Maggie did was to place my order through Alibaba which is good as they monitor the order etc & if for any reason you are not happy with the quality or you don't receive them you can get your money back. You go to Alibaba register with them (a couple of questions password etc) & then you can view the order & pay. I did all that & received my controllers yesterday so around a week to 10 days to get them. There was VAT to pay which I did realise would be the case which came to £24 & a few pence so I am still £40 better off than I would have been getting from suppliers, ok warranty may be an issue if it was to go wrong after a few months but its not that much money nowadays is it. The controllers are identical to the ones fitted to the bike, same make same quality. Still have the 15.5 MPH restriction which I think is in the back wheel anyway but a throttle that in my opinion makes it easier & safer to ride. If you want Maggies details I will pm them to you. You may be lucky if you only get 1 controller in that the value is lower so will not attract the VAT/Import costs which would mean you got 1 for a little under £70.
Anyway Bob let me know if you want to go down that route & I will send you the info you need.

BobR

Aug 18, 2016
Staffordshire
Hi Bob, yes you are correct that the suppliers have the unrestricted controllers. I called them & they said that they will supply me but to make sure I get the right one I would need to send a photo of my controller (unrestricted) I gave them my email but they never sent me there's so I could not get back to them with the picture etc.

I really don't see their argument that it would be illegal to supply you, if you told them you would be using the bike on a private farm for getting about then there is no way selling you the controller is illegal, after all its just a part, asking them to fit it for you if you bought a new bike then maybe a little more difficult for them.

Anyway Bob, I managed to find the factory that makes them in China, I spoke via email to a very nice lady called Maggie, she was so so helpful, replied within minutes to my questions, she sent me a wiring diagram spoke to her engineer regarding restrictions etc of which there are non. She was very willing to supply me with the part I wanted. I ordered 2 as 1 was for my E Tourer & 1 was for my wifes Wayfarer, they were $180 (about £138 at the time) for the 2 inc post insurance etc.
The suppliers here in the UK wanted £100 each if they would have supplied them so I was on a winner by £62. What Maggie did was to place my order through Alibaba which is good as they monitor the order etc & if for any reason you are not happy with the quality or you don't receive them you can get your money back. You go to Alibaba register with them (a couple of questions password etc) & then you can view the order & pay. I did all that & received my controllers yesterday so around a week to 10 days to get them. There was VAT to pay which I did realise would be the case which came to £24 & a few pence so I am still £40 better off than I would have been getting from suppliers, ok warranty may be an issue if it was to go wrong after a few months but its not that much money nowadays is it. The controllers are identical to the ones fitted to the bike, same make same quality. Still have the 15.5 MPH restriction which I think is in the back wheel anyway but a throttle that in my opinion makes it easier & safer to ride. If you want Maggies details I will pm them to you. You may be lucky if you only get 1 controller in that the value is lower so will not attract the VAT/Import costs which would mean you got 1 for a little under £70.
Anyway Bob let me know if you want to go down that route & I will send you the info you need.
Hi David, congratulations! You certainly did better than me in approaching the suppliers even if it got you nowhere in the end. It would be interesting to see inside both controllers to see what the difference is, but because the board is potted with epoxy, a modification would be unlikely. I would like the email details if possible and also a copy of the wiring diagram and link to the manufacturer you found. My wife is getting quite excited by the forthcoming throttle. Regards, Bob

blueboy

Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Bedford
Hi David, congratulations! You certainly did better than me in approaching the suppliers even if it got you nowhere in the end. It would be interesting to see inside both controllers to see what the difference is, but because the board is potted with epoxy, a modification would be unlikely. I would like the email details if possible and also a copy of the wiring diagram and link to the manufacturer you found. My wife is getting quite excited by the forthcoming throttle. Regards, Bob

Ha ha mate, yes my wife is also excited with her bike now she has a throttle. Will pm the details over to you.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Bob it sounds like Blue has done the homework to find a solution so is looking good for you.
Another option Pswpower .com sell KT controllers for derestriction just a case of unplugging the restriction joint and whether led or lcd, for command protocol you would be best getting a matching lcd as well if required. Also as you have done wiring compatibility would need to be checked.

BobR

Aug 18, 2016
Staffordshire
Bob it sounds like Blue has done the homework to find a solution so is looking good for you.
Another option Pswpower .com sell KT controllers for derestriction just a case of unplugging the restriction joint and whether led or lcd, for command protocol you would be best getting a matching lcd as well if required. Also as you have done wiring compatibility would need to be checked.
That's also a possibility, I like the idea of an lcd readout so will look into it. Thanks for the heads up.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Bob do you know your motor rpm ?
Also psw do sine wave and sq wave controllers.

BobR

Aug 18, 2016
Staffordshire
Bob do you know your motor rpm ?
Also psw do sine wave and sq wave controllers.
Hi Nealh, I have just looked at psw.com website, can't beleive the prices, it would be cheaper to replace everything at that rate.
I don't know the rpm of the motor but it is a standard 36v rear hub motor in a 26 inch wheel. See picture, if it uploads. Oh and it has 6 thin wires but the white one is not used.
Bob

Attachments

Margo

Just Joined
Jun 30, 2021
I have the E Tourer & my wife has the folding Wayfarer, both the same electronics, I bought 2 controllers & both bikes are now spot on, my wife loves it that she don't need to peddle if she don't want to. I personally think the bike is safer with throttle as you don't go zooming off when you start peddling, sometimes its too fast when in the park etc. You can go at what speed you want to suit the conditions.
Would you happen to have a user guide for the Wayfarer please?