Problem - Bionx, or maybe the bike

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Hi

I've had my 350W li-ion Bionx for about 18 months now an done just over 3000 miles. I've just had the bike back (a Trek 7200 hybrid) from a local shop that has serviced it and respoked the rear wheel.

Unfortunately, the rear wheel now makes a noise a bit like that of rubbing a wet finger around the rim of a wine glass - a sort of humming ring. It only makes it when the motor is assisting, and is most noticeable when under load, such as climbing a steep hill, when a constant vibration cn also be felt through the pedals and the handlebars.

I have disconnected the brakes to discount them, and I am familiar enough with the bike to know it is not the usual faint whine of the motor. I have removed the rear wheel and the freewheel looks wobblier to me than it used to, but it is not something I have checked before so could well be wrong. However, it does have some lateral play.

As I'm in England, where there are no Bionx dealers, I'm hoping the fault is not with the motor but don't see how a dodgy freewheel would only cause a problem when the motor's assisting. I have just realised that I didn't test the bike uphill on the throttle only, although I'm not sure how that would help.

As far as I can see, everything is as it should be, and I don't see what the mechanic could have done to affect the motor in any way, but as it was fine beforehand, I'm guessing he did something somehow.

My plan is to take the bike back to the shop tomorrow and ask them to check the freewheel and also the rear wheel bearings , if they can get to them.

Has anyone any pearly words of wisdom please?

Thanks
Nick

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
It may be that some of the new spokes have a resonant frequency similar to a frequency that normally occurs in the motor and are vibrating in sympathy. If that is the case a bit of rubber jammed in the spoke crosses should damp the vibration and stop the noise.

aaannndddyyy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2007
Norwich Norfolk
When I first picked up my Ezee sprint (FWD) I had a similar problem, it tuned out to be my front mud guard resonating, although all the nuts and bolts were tight, it was easily fixed with a rubber grommet between the mud guard and frame.