Problem with my bike controller and hall sensors

Marc.Sw

Just Joined
Oct 5, 2018
Hello, I'm new here, my name is Marc I live in Sweden, I hope you're all doing fine. I own an ebike I built with the typical chinese kit from internet with the following problem. It was ok one day and the day after didn't work anymore, after checking the hub motor I concluded it's ok but I'm getting what I believe is a strange thing going on with the controller, I removed it from the bike and it powers up, the input voltage is ok, the throttle seems to work fine too, but the wires that would go to the hall effect sensor of the motor are all showing +5V, green blue and yellow, weird enough though the red one is 4.6V and the GND is fine, when I apply throttle there's no voltage in the phases. All this with the motor disconnected!
And when i connect it, it doesn't work at all, I've heard that a problem with the hall sensors system would still let the motor turn? But it doesn't do anything at all.

I've opened up the controller and don't see anything burnt or wrong in it.

Is it normal to have voltage in those wires? If it isn't, what could be causing it?

Thank you all, I'm getting desperate with this.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Halls should see about 5v though depends how you are testing.
Using the link below check the how to hall test pdf and if is all ok, move on to the blown mosfet test as this is more likely to be your problem.
http://www.ebikes.ca/learn/troubleshooting.html

Let us know your findings.

Marc.Sw

Just Joined
Oct 5, 2018
Hello, the problem is that I see 5v on every wire of the hall sensor (blue, green and yellow) all the time coming from the controller.

I checked up the mosfets and they all seem to be fine!

Thank you for your answer.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hello, the problem is that I see 5v on every wire of the hall sensor (blue, green and yellow) all the time coming from the controller.

I checked up the mosfets and they all seem to be fine!

Thank you for your answer.
Have you followed the guide to testing halls as per nealh ? You should have power on and rotate the wheel which it doesn’t sound like you are doing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: B2stealth

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
Marc.Sw,

As nealh and KirstinS have pointed out, you need to carry out 4 wiring tests.

Ideally you need a helper to turn the wheel backwards very slowly with the multimeter connected between the black earth and each of these wires individually:

1. red

2. yellow

3. blue

4. green.

As the wheel is turned backwards slowly you should see the voltage continually switch between 0V and 5V.

If it does not do so, then you have either a wiring fault on that wire, or more likely a failed Hall sensor which is connected to that particular wire.

http://www.ebikes.ca/documents/HallSensorTestingFinal.pdf

Replacement:

http://www.ebikes.ca/documents/HubMotorHallSensorReplacement.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: JPGiant