Problem with Proprietary Tech

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
There must be something about either the bikes or the buyers that causes them not to want to keep them.
I think there's a triumph of marketing in there. The Reese and Mullers of this world seem like they would be effortless consumer items that would somehow solve all your problems.

Except you still get wet, and you're exposed to the world in a different way and you're going to get dirty. It is still easier to take the car, and if you make sure your recycling is properly separated then you're still doing your bit!

Compare that to the buyers of DIY ebikes. Most of the want to get to work, or use them to deliver things. They don't care how it looks so long as it works!

It's far more profitable to sell to Reese and Muller types.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and robert44

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Proprietary means potential short life and dear repairs once past the pitiful 2 year warranty , leading big bike brands simply adding to the throw away society issue.
Amazing what people throw away - I found a perfectly functioning Dyson DC14 in 2012 which I still use, the only issue it had was a clogged filter; replaced. It really sucks.

The other day I found this rather nice large lamp, in great condition, which my neighbour had left out for scrap metal collectors.

(not my sofa)

I can see why my neighbour thought this big lamp would have been attractive to the scrap guys, as it weighs almost 20kg. Being the Womble that I am, I took it home - it had been rained on so I left it to dry for a bit, then checked the foot switch for water... tested fine. Discovered the only problem it had was the E27 bulb side contact spring needed pulling out a couple of mm; had lost a bit of springiness. This lamp casts a lovely even light, a bit like a stage light, which I could use for my large green screen chroma key backdrop. Or I might give it back to my neighbour. Should be good for many more years of use.

Last edited: