Problems Joining Pedelec

C

Cyclezee

I met somone today, Roger, who is trying to join Pedelec, but his email address is blocked and does not get a response from Admin.
Could it be because he is using hotmail?
His ISP is Orange, so I have suggested he try using his Orange email address.

J:) hn

Bob_about

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2009
Warks/Glos Border
Me too

I tried joining ages ago using my Hotmail account (my main personal email account) only to get a nmessage that the account was "Banned"

I tried contacting admin to no avail, so in the end joined using another work based account.

I have since tried to change my email contact details to my hotmail account only to find I`m still banned!

If anyone can give a reason it would help?

Cheers

Bob_about

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Possibly because so much spam and trolling is done through Hotmail.

Since you have an ISP, the use of their mail service would be the way round the Hotmail problem.

But admin would know the answer, I'm guessing.

C

Cyclezee

I tried joining ages ago using my Hotmail account (my main personal email account) only to get a nmessage that the account was "Banned"

I tried contacting admin to no avail, so in the end joined using another work based account.

I have since tried to change my email contact details to my hotmail account only to find I`m still banned!

If anyone can give a reason it would help?

Cheers

Bob_about
That's exactly the problem Roger had and probably for the reasons Lemmy gave. It would be good the have confirmation from Admin though.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Someone called Caroline from a Motorhome forum I use PM'd me the other day saying she is blocked as well! After I recommended looking on here before she bought the e bikes they where considering......

jkirkebo

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2009
I was unable to join using my gmail-account. I had to use a work account that I never use for anything else...

kster68

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 13, 2010
I have had problems before trying to join communities with both hotmail and gmail accounts. I now use operamail, as i generally use the opera browser and have had no problems with this service

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
At the moment free email services like hotmail etc are banned during registration, this is due to the number of fake registrations we get. It's very difficult to ascertain whether someone is genuine or not from these email accounts.

We generally wait until the member contacts us which usually shows they are real and not a spammer. We can then set up an account manually.

We have several email addresses for the site and currently they are redirected through Googlemail due to the volumes of spam we are getting (>5000 emails a day!). I'm wondering if Google's spam filter is perhaps being a bit too aggressive!

I think what I will probably do is change the registration process so that all email addresses are accepted but that the user's first X posts go into a moderation queue before they appear on the forum.

C

Cyclezee

That's great Russ and many thanks for all your hard work.

I wonder if we may now see a big increase in membership?

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Yes, just send me a PM with your new email address.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
That's great Russ and many thanks for all your hard work.

I wonder if we may now see a big increase in membership?

Always difficult to predict, we get far more visitors a day than members and most of those are lurkers.

Take yesterday for example, over 1,800 unique visitors and over 60% have visited before. A lot of those will visit the site over a period of time, get whatever information they need and then we may not see them again, until maybe they hit a problem with their bike.