ProConnect S arrives damaged !

Intex

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2008
After 8 months wait, my ProConnect S arrived today. The DHL courier was even ashamed to bring the box to the door, but when he did, there were approx 2 larges holes and 3-4 large gashes in the box, with the rear of the bike showing thru one hole. Bent bike racj, fender, rim, etc. DHL said to refuse delivery.

I will unfortunately be unable to submit a report on the bike, other than above. I am hoping the GOOD FOLKS at 50Cycles will send me a new one tommorrow. I will keep you informed.

PS- The color was pretty

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
That is pretty unlucky but does happen in transit from time to time. No doubt 50cycles will send another one as I am sure it did not leave their warehouse in that condition. Pretty frustrating though so good luck!

iangrimmett

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 19, 2009
PRO CONNECT S damaged

That is bad luck, I am About to order a pro connect so fingers crossed.

Intex

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2008
I have to clear up that I am in the US , so its a much longer distance than to someone in the UK.
I think the problem is that the boxes are too flimsy, and need to be double-boxed or put in a double thickness corrugated box. I ship all the time, and the boxes we use here are much sturdier. I think these boxes are meant to be put on a truck, rather than shlepped from airplane to airplane.

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
If there weren't unique parts damaged, the parts could probably be replaced at a local bike shop and have 50 cycles pay the resulting bill.

Would be done quicker!

I'm sure that probably won't be possible -- just a thought.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
If there weren't unique parts damaged, the parts could probably be replaced at a local bike shop and have 50 cycles pay the resulting bill.

Would be done quicker!

I'm sure that probably won't be possible -- just a thought.
50Cycles aren't liable for the bill, DHL is so it won't be that simple.

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
DHL may offer compensation,but its pretty stupid to send a bike by courier to USA in a single walled box in the first place!

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
I have to clear up that I am in the US , so its a much longer distance than to someone in the UK.
I think the problem is that the boxes are too flimsy, and need to be double-boxed or put in a double thickness corrugated box. I ship all the time, and the boxes we use here are much sturdier. I think these boxes are meant to be put on a truck, rather than shlepped from airplane to airplane.
You are right about the boxes.

When my Pro Connect arrived last year having only travelled a couple of hundred miles at most here in the UK there were several holes in the bottom of the box at the corners and a loose pedal was hanging out.

The company I work for exports equipment to the US and we use sturdy wood boxes for components which are much less fragile than an electric bike.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
DHL may offer compensation,but its pretty stupid to send a bike by courier to USA in a single walled box in the first place!
Maybe not, if most of them arrive OK and insurance pays for the occasional broken one then why pay £20 per bike for a stronger box.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
wondering why you went for a European style bike when US regs allow more powerful bikes?

The support can be difficult enough as well, without the hassle of dealing internationally with a supplier........

Intex

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2008
50Cycles came through and shipped me my new ProConnect S within a few days, and in less than a week I now have the new bike! I thank 50Cycles for their excellent service!

The bike came packed in a double box, no holes and as I open the box, I will see if thgere are any problems. None found so far!

rvarley

Just Joined
Jan 6, 2009
I live in the US and ordered the ProConnect from 50Cycles last year. The box arrived (via DHL) in mangled condition and the bike had damage as a result. 50Cycles did send replacements for the damage parts immediately. It looks like they save the boxes and re-ship in the original box. The packaging was terrible. One would expect they would learn over time to pack more carefully and use a sturdier box to begin with. I ordered another bike from out of state and the quality of packaging was far better than that of the ProConnect.

Fortunately, the ProConnect is a stout machine with the most durable finish I have ever seen.