Project: ghEttoBIKE

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Okay, I've had a couple more weeks to refine and enjoy the ghEttoBIKE and I have to say that it no longer feels 'ghetto' at all. Here is a photo in its current state:

IMG_4705.jpg

As you can see, I gave up on the idea of mounting the batteries in the frame triangle. Having clamped up a single battery to the frame and going for a short test ride, I found that my knees kept on hitting it, so that was that idea out the window.

Rather randomly, while I was was in Ikea, I came across this:

PRÄNT Box with lid - IKEA

As it turns out, it is the perfect size for 12v 7ah SLA's, but way too tall. Made from 5mm plywood, I was a little unsure if it would be rigid enough, but at less than 4 quid, I thought it was worth a go. I cut each piece to the required height with a jigsaw and Dremel and and put it together. To finish, I sprayed it black and riveted on a peice of alluminium plate salvaged from a heatsink from a broken coffee machine. To this I attatched a power socket to match the charger I bought and added another to the controller. I have also bought a key switch, which I have not yet fitted. Here is the finished result:

IMG_4709.jpg

IMG_4711.jpg

Once constructed, the box is definitely strong enough for the task, although I don't know how many times it would survive, say, hitting the pavement from a moving bike. The sprayed finish is quite nice (pretty muddy in the above photo), although already starting to wear due to the way I've mounted it to the rack. For this I've used a combination of l-brackets and a bunjee cord:

IMG_4707.jpg

IMG_4706.jpg

Although slightly cumbersome to attach and remove, the bungee cord and l-bracket combination keeps the box mounted secure to the rack. I still want to find a better way to mount it using a clamp mount, although I still haven't worked out a good way to do this yet. This will do for now though.

After my first ride with the box, my only complaint was that the batteries inside rattled around far too much. To remedy this, I made a battery brace from a couple of screw feet salvaged from a broken desk and a long nut made from polymorph (LOVE this stuff btw and used it a few times on this project). I also lined the box with black sheet foam where appropriate. This has almost rid the box of rattles altogether. All in all I'm pretty happy with the result.

I have also made a few frugal purchases. From the pound shop (don't laugh - I'm quite handy at finding the good stuff), I bought a saddle bag to mount the controller, a pump and mudguards (also used polymorph here to mount under the rack). I also ordered a waterproof phone case/bag which mounts to the front of the crossbar. Here I also carry a puncture repair kit, tools, fuses and other miscelaneous items.

One thing that has made a huge difference to the asthetics, was removing all the decals from the frame. Why do manufacturers insist on covering frames with those? After doing so, the bike looks very nice and I'm also starting to like the green frame.

Having also deliberated over this for a few weeks, yesterday, I decided to carry out a shunt mod on the controller. I upped the current from 10 to 14 amps and all I can say is WOW, what a difference it has made. The acceleration is much improved, reaching a now slightly higher top speed of 16-17mph in about 3 seconds on flat ground. The biggest difference however is it's hill-climbing ability. The bike now eats up 25% hills for breakfast, although probably batteries for lunch and dinner after doing the shunt mod. Prior to the mod, the journeys I have been doing have left me with a half-empty battery, so I think an additional 4 amps should be okay. Also, the bike just ploughs through thick mud and over obstacles that would have stopped it before.

All in all, I am chuffed to bits with my bike as it stands, although I think that there's still a few more mods to come.....

Last edited:

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
Hi Daniel,
Just wanted to say that I have been following this project thread and it is good to see it come together into a bike that works well.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Thanks for the update and the photographs Daniel. That is my kind of project. I have little doubt that it will evolve over time. The main thing is that it is YOUR creation, and it does exactly what you want it to do. And it is all the more satisfying that it is built on a budget. If I remember right, you are using secondhand batteries. In the long term, you may need to think about replacing those is range becomes a problem.Well done.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
It is all the more satisfying that it is built on a budget.
Talking of budget, I thought I'd do a quick tally:

Bike - £0
Motor - £31
20x 12v 7ah Batteries (enough for 5 battery packs) - £6 (probably the best bargain of my whole life)
Controller - £24
Throttle - £8
Charger - £13
Pannier Rack - £15
Cables & Connectors -£15
Battery Box - £10
Other Misc. Items - £15

TOTAL - £137

I also spent £20 on an unnecessary bag that I ended up trashing. That brings the total inclusive of losses to £157. I have spent just over half of my original budget of £300 (and btw, this is the first time I have actually revealed my original budget). All-in-all feel that I have ended up with a better bike than I would if I'd have bought a purpose made e-bike of that price. More importantly, I have learnt a lot and am confident that I will be able to sort out any problems that may occur in the future.

alfazzr

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2012
Love it mate - well done, I am heading out down the same path but currently just buying loads of bits and getting no time to do anything with them. Soon !

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I've just come across this thread while trawling for info. before splashing-out on a 8fun conversion for my Mtb.

I've thoroughly enjoyed following it through & feel thoroughly ashamed that I'll be assembling a kit, rather than doing a scratch-build :)

I know where to come when things go belly-up!

Pete

Wan

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 1, 2015
Talking of budget, I thought I'd do a quick tally:

Bike - £0
Motor - £31
20x 12v 7ah Batteries (enough for 5 battery packs) - £6 (probably the best bargain of my whole life)
Controller - £24
Throttle - £8
Charger - £13
Pannier Rack - £15
Cables & Connectors -£15
Battery Box - £10
Other Misc. Items - £15

TOTAL - £137

I also spent £20 on an unnecessary bag that I ended up trashing. That brings the total inclusive of losses to £157. I have spent just over half of my original budget of £300 (and btw, this is the first time I have actually revealed my original budget). All-in-all feel that I have ended up with a better bike than I would if I'd have bought a purpose made e-bike of that price. More importantly, I have learnt a lot and am confident that I will be able to sort out any problems that may occur in the future.
thank you for sharing this info.

i hope can built like you. DIY.