Protective clothing

Max Tolerance

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2022
I was just wondering, does anyone here wear or has anyone considered wearing, protective clothing. What I am talking about are the Kevlar jackets and reinforced Kevlar Jeans/Trousers more commonly worn by motorcyclists?
Personally, I have a Kevlar hoodie and leather gloves but I am looking at Kevlar trousers.
If you do I would love to hear your recommendations, I have "BikersgearAustralia" stuff and it is quite good quality I feel, not your usual rubbish though I haven't subjected it to her washing machine cycle (?) yet:)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
I bought stainless steel knee and elbow pads, but haven' used them as often as Ithought I would and they wouldn't have prevented a broken wrist and titanium implant.

Max Tolerance

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2022
Have you bought these or are you suggesting them? It's not a real motorbike you know? Personally I have no desire to look like a fairground attraction or cryer as some of the lycra clad lot do, in fact I have told her "if I start ordering Lycra, shoot me"!
My objective is to reduce Gravel Rash if I start skating down the road on my ass so Kevlar reinforced jeans and top is more than my needs really, I have a hoodie top similar to this:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My objective is to reduce Gravel Rash if I start skating down the road on my ass so Kevlar reinforced jeans and top is more than my needs really, I have a hoodie top similar to this:

Those do look good - I wonder how well they'd function as stab vests?

Max Tolerance

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2022
Those do look good - I wonder how well they'd function as stab vests?
They won't. A stab vest is a completely different construction and plates are the only real true answer to penetrating implements, a bullet proof vest is different again and just because it will stop a 38 cal round it does not follow that it will stop a pointed blade, they are two different things.
The motorbike Kevlar stuff is mostly designed to stop abrasion, hence the abundance of polymides. As I hve grown fond of my skin I would like to keep it intact as long as possible, putting gloves on when you are getting on the bike is a pain in the ass and sometimes I think it looks silly, having had more than my fair share of hand injuries I will continue to wear my "silly" gloves.

Reactions: guerney

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0205_04.JPG
DSC_0222_03_01.JPG

:cool:

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Presently I wear a Indiana Jones style lightly padded leather jacket, for abrasion resistance. If there was an impact resistant Indiana Jones style bike hat, I'd wear that too. Jim Morrison leather trousers are a touch too far.

Last edited: