Protective Gear

Burroo67

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 29, 2020
Clydebank
Hi Guys,

We all know cycling gear can be expensive. I am looking for a cycling jacket that is packable in case a shower comes on. It does not need to be 100% waterproof as that can make the material thick and therefore not very foldable. I am looking for something that will pack small enough to fit into a rear rack bag and is decent, but will not cost the earth.

Thanks

ChuckingFeet

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2019
Derby
My budget solution is a cycle jacket from Aldl/Lidli , which has been great for 3 + years, zips are the weak point.Good up to moderate rain , if its tipping down I use standard Peter Storm (Milletts) cagoule over the top .I also have PS overtrousers which I use most days to keep the mud off . This works for my 12 mile commute , although the trousers are beginning to leak a little after 3 years use .
For footwear in heavy rain, I have a cheap pair of wellies from Wilkos that have been cut down to mid shin.
This ensemble will win no style points , but works pretty well .

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I use these high-vis packaway waterproofs although the size range is limited now.

Alternatively Regatta packaways.

Reactions: Burroo67

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
This Crane rainproof helmet cover is great:

Hmm! It reminds me of this person. Some will remember who she is.

Rather than spend six quid on a hair net, wouldn't it be better to get a waterproof helmet, which will transform you from a berk to a dude?

D

Deleted member 33385

Hmm! It reminds me of this person. Some will remember who she is.

Rather than spend six quid on a hair net, wouldn't it be better to get a waterproof helmet, which will transform you from a berk to a dude?

I have no issue with looking like a berk, providing it helps me retain my remaining teeth in a collision (tumour in 2000 plus an unprovoked fight with three blokes after a pub crawl in 2005, have cost me four in total [cracked tooth after a faceplant on the road while cycling {my chain broke} in 1985 would have been been 5, and still might](plus wisdom tooth removals), which might not happen if I look enough of a berk! The Crane is secured to my full face BMX style helmet using a ziptie, it's also windproof, which has been useful in recent sub-zero temperatures. Fully waterproof helmets may get sweaty, and I'd rather not have to buy two helmets for different seasons - you can't swap helmets over as quickly when we get all seasons in one day, and when our two week summer arrives, I'll just take the Crane cover off (re-usable ziptie).

The reflective grey tape is rubbish, and will be replaced soon.

Yes, it does make me look like a berk... but my head is dry, I'm more visible and my scalp and ears don't freeze. And I might keep my teeth.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

If you don't want to be compared to Hilda Ogden, and inevitably grow as a person to exhibit her many incomparable charms:

It actually fits under my helmet, but I haven't tested it's waterproofing yet. I doubt that it's any good at keeping out water, but it's warmer than not in winter.

D

Deleted member 33385

I'd dress as a clown while cycling for maximum visibility, but I fear it could trigger insane drivers with deep childhood issues... Some would argue I'm pretty much there already - dayglow and reflective everything but the bike.

Burroo67

Jul 29, 2020
Clydebank
My budget solution is a cycle jacket from Aldl/Lidli , which has been great for 3 + years, zips are the weak point.Good up to moderate rain , if its tipping down I use standard Peter Storm (Milletts) cagoule over the top .I also have PS overtrousers which I use most days to keep the mud off . This works for my 12 mile commute , although the trousers are beginning to leak a little after 3 years use .
For footwear in heavy rain, I have a cheap pair of wellies from Wilkos that have been cut down to mid shin.
This ensemble will win no style points , but works pretty well .
Thanks for the tips my friend

Burroo67

Jul 29, 2020
Clydebank

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Old Ena Sharples was one of the old guard and original cast members, I remember them early episodes as there wasn't very much choice many decades ago. So much more down to earth then the fodder they dish up now, can't say I have watched it since Pat Pheonix died along time a go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Burroo67 and TedG
D

Deleted member 33385

I stopped watching when I realised I was worrying about fake people on TV, when I should be worrying about fake people in real life.