Puncture prevention

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
This is the tail end of another thread.

"And now to repair a rear puncture on the Powertrek caused no doubt by the crud on the back lanes around here where I like to ride that the tractors bring on and it is flint country.

I`m considering either, pump in slime, ready made slime filled tubes or the slime re-inforcing band that goes inside the tyre and sits on top of the tube(that I`m told is a PIYA to fit)

Any suggestions?"

Did the puncture on the rear wheel and was surprised that there wasn`t a plug in line from the hub to the controller. you need more hands than an octopus:D

So! have any of you cut the cable and fitted an in line plug and socket for easier rear wheel removal? if so, which one?

thanks

Dave

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
while waiting for a reply, I think peps will be concerned regards the effect on reliability. I believe most bikes have enough slack to manage a repair. I have never had a puncture with the marathons (I am gonna regret saying this!)

The consensus on here is for marathon plus tyres as the best puncture resistant strategy:) Out in the country thorns from hedges are a real problem

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Wisper used to have a plug between controller and hub but discontinued it, I think it was a weak link.
Once I've scratched my head for a bit I can usually find a simple way to do what I need to and disconnecting the cable wasn't all that difficult in the end.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Eddio and Mussels

My Alien kit has a sturdy in line plug and socket. I reckon I might be able to find an auto plug and then wrap it with self amalgamating tape.

The exisitng cable is very tight, I had to lay the bike on it`s side to remove the wheel. The cable fits into two double cleats( hard to explain them) but you can only get the cable out of the cleats once you have the wheel out and you can`t get the wheel out till you remove the cable:( I had to open the cleats and one snapped off( my fault) so I`ve just protected the cable in two places with amalgamating tape and then self amalgamating taped them to the frame. At least all I have to do now is either cut the tape or unwind it to get a bit of free play.
What I really need to do is to make myself some sort of stand/jig to hold the bike properly while dropping the wheel, if you add in the bike chain to the cable syndrome it can be fiddly. I just split the chain and removed it and it became a lot easier( a good chain splitter is a boon)

Eddio

Am I right in thinking those tyres you mentioned are around £50 each?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Connection

Wisper used to have a plug between controller and hub but discontinued it, I think it was a weak link.
Once I've scratched my head for a bit I can usually find a simple way to do what I need to and disconnecting the cable wasn't all that difficult in the end.
Hi Andrew

No it's back in again, but it's inside the controller box out of harms way!

All the best

David

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Several options :

1. 3 Way AMP Automotive Superseal waterproof connector kit on eBay (end time 16-Jan-10 09:02:37 GMT) Does not really have a high reconnection count. Is/was used on Alienocean setups and available in multipole.

2. Motorcycle Electrical Multi - Connector (6.3mm) 3 way on eBay (end time 26-Feb-10 17:17:44 GMT) Quite a nice plug but needs waterproofing.

3. Switchcraft | Connectors | Multipole Circular | Circular | Cable mount Switchcraft EN3 |EN3C3M-RS As used by Cytronex, fiddly to fit and only rated to 7.5amps per pin.

The third is probably most waterproof and rated for multiple reconnections but its quite fiddly to fit. I have used it on my EBrompton. The only problem is you can't then take the nuts, washers and rubber gromit off (not that you need to) unless you disassmeble it and unsolder and you must make sure you have them all in the right order before you solder up. For a 3 pole requirement the second I think is probably best as its easy to disassemble the pins, which can then be pulled through the the nuts/washers to take them off. It would of course require waterproofing with something like self amalgamating tape which would have to be undone to disconnect it.

I went for Marathon Plus in the end after some major puncture problems in my back wheel. Mine were about £20 each. They can be difficult to fit (especially on smaller wheels) but once you get the technique i.e. work round the rim squeezing the tyre together and getting the bead right into the centre of the rim, so you can get the last bit of bead over the rim. I can now fit these without the use of tyre levers :p

For ease I think its essential to fit a connector to the wire running to any hub motor, unless I guess its near to or easy to trace back to the controller and unplug it.

PS I guess I should add the ones linked above are for non halls motors which of course only require three pole/wire plugs, though 1 and 3 above are available in multipole as well.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Jerry beat me to it! I'd go with the first one listed, the Automotive connectors, they are rated for 14amps and are sealed. These are the same as the Alien connectors Dave.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
£50 each!:eek:

I got them from a link on here ages ago £42 the pair I fink

just had a look but not sure if these are the right ones..they may even be better with kevlar

Schwalbe Marathon Plus Kevlar HS348 Tyre

Last edited:

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
I've got the Marathons and no punctures so far.

It's worth getting a pair of the Schwalbe inner tubes, too. They have the screw collar that tightens against the wheel rim. Many inners don't have it these days but it makes connecting the pump to Schrader valves much less fiddly.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
...And don't skimp on good quality rim tape!

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I replaced the rim tape today when I repaired the puncture, fitted some cloth heavy duty stuff.

is the tyre Schwalbe Marathon Cross HS334 Kevlar Rigid Tyre - 26 x 1.75 Inch (47-559)

Schwalbe Marathon Cross Kevlar Tyre

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I ordered the plus tyres in the end from Chainreaction post free.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
I'm still on my conti top contact winters, and I must say they've been absolutely bullet proof so far. (oh no - I've said it now:eek: )

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I'm still on my conti top contact winters, and I must say they've been absolutely bullet proof so far. (oh no - I've said it now:eek: )
I've had a puncture in both of mine, both in the same journey. :rolleyes:
I don't know what caused the front puncture but I found a nail sticking out of the back wheel, not much would prevent that going flat.
The thick rubber round the middle is stopping punctures at the moment, I guess that when the roads dry up the rubber will wear quickly and I'll get a lot more punctures.